My Old Dog Delilah.

TheTalkingCat

I actually had a dog named Delilah. I haven't had really any pets in my life. One dog and one cat (which I just picked up the other day).

My sister had brought this dog home from the Shelter. It was clear that this dog was rather old. After a year or so went by she developed some sort of cancer. I didn't really have any friends at the time, but this dog Delilah had always kept me good company. I would pick up beef sticks from the check out counter at the local convenience store and give them to her when I walked in the door.

At the time I knew she needed to be put down and it was very hard for me to do, but I could see the lack of energy and solemness in her. I can't begin to describe how hard that day was for me. I rememeber being right beside her as they gave her the shot which put her to sleep. I was singing to her as they did this. -.- The vet said she had a strong heart, which made me burst into tears.

I kept a lock of her hair and I know exactly where's she buried. Losing her was very tough and I still miss her to this day.

I wish I had a picture of her, but I don't. =(

Does anyone who has lost a pet kept a lock of their hair...or fur?

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
So sorry that you lost your Delilah, I think it's sweet that you kept a lock of her hair. :love_heart: I never kept hair, but I have a paw print from one of my dogs taken on the day we let her go to the bridge. So good of you to give love to an older dog, and I love the fact that you were singing to her...that's so special. :sentimental:

TheTalkingCat

Original Poster
Yes, I did sing to her. One of the things that felt not right at the time was that she was with me when I was digging her grave. She came up and lied down by the pile of dirt. I had to stop and put her back inside the house.

I got really personally attached to her and after losing her it made it real hard for me to build up the courage to get another pet. At least with the cat I have now, she is young and cats live longer. =)

Thanks for the reply Alpha1!

Goldfinch7

So sorry you lost your Delilah, she was a lucky girl to have found such a loving person in her twilight years. I've not previously kept anything like a lock of hair, as the dogs I've lost all passed when I was child. When I next have to deal with a loss, I'd consider something like a paw print. I know some people who have had lockets or other jewellery made up using a small amount of their ashes.

My Mum had a portrait done of one our dogs when he passed from a sudden illness, which hangs in her bedroom still, over ten years later.

LPC

I am truly sorry to read about Delilah. Blessings to you for taking in a rescue dog!

It is clear that you loved her very much. You can be sure that she will be waiting for you at the Bridge to give you countless licks!

I understand about wanting to keep a memento. Lots of people keep something to remind them of the physical bodies of their pets. The only mementos we have are photos (lots of them!).