My old dog is waking up earlier & earlier & earlier

MarcoPolo

I have a big, sweet 13 and a half year old mutt and have had him most of his life. I've seen him go through the cycles of life and I know the end could come at any time. He has Leukemia and has been on Prednisone and Chlorambucil since December.

Over the years he went from what I affectionately call his "high school boy" phase where he slept in until noon to gradually getting up earlier. For a long time he would wake up at 0630 which was great because we'd go for an early walk and I'd get a nice jump on the day. The past few months that turned into 0600 and then 0530 and then 0500. I hear the pitter patter of his toenails coming up to my bed and I wake up, feed him, and go for a walk.

However, the past 4 days he's gotten up at:

Has anybody else gone through this with their senior dog? I've tried several things like walking him later in the night and letting him out in the yard when he wakes up but this doesn't seem to be about a potty break. The trend is obvious so I'm wondering how early it will ultimately go, 3AM?

linda2147

the dog is old, his bladder isn't what it used to be plus if he's on pred it will make him drink more and what goes in has to come out. But don't
t limit his water, he will be very thirsty and don't let him go without drinking, you know how uncomfortable it is to be thirsty.Be patient with him, take him out when he has to go. He's been your friend for many years, its y our turn to stand by him now that he needs you more than ever. Its not a crime to get old, remember that when you get impatient with him.
\

MarcoPolo

Original Poster
We are now getting up before 4AM now! Today he got me up at 0350. Our reward was my favorite coyote sighting yet. I go out my back gate down the alley and it’s a good 6 houses to the street. We were halfway to the street and I noticed a coyote standing in the middle of the road under the street light. It was foggy and at 4AM everything is still and dead silent. Buster and I just stood and looked at him for a while. Normally they get spooked and run but I think he wanted to come down the alley to get back into the canyon. Truly epic. Amazing to see something like that in downtown San Diego.

linda2147

de[emds on how hungry they are usually they will run away but if they are hungry enough they will try to attack the dog. Watch out for them, they are not harmless , so be careful.

mechi2

I agree with Linda, be on guard around coyotes, they do attack dogs. They are in my city too, there have been incidents where they follow people walking their dogs, and have even snatched a small dog out of a person's arms and grabbed a dog out of the backyard.