my sister had to put her dog down today

linda2147

she was almost 15 years old and for the last year or so she was declining. Now she blew a knee and tore the miniscus and the vet said she was to old and feeble to handle surgery, she was in a lot of pain and pain pills weren't helping, the last few days she wasn't eating or drinking, just laid there and was in pain. So one last trip to the vet who said there was nothing more he could do for her and the kindest think to do was let her go. As you can imagine my sister is heartbroken. We all know how it feels to loose one but that is little help to her now.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Oh Linda, so sad to hear that. My sympathy for your sister, I know her heart is aching. May her dog rest peacefully, knowing she was and will always be loved.

linda2147

Original Poster
I haven't talked to her yet today, she was pretty upset when she called me last night, She'll call me wen she is ready ut right now I don't think she wants to talk to anyone. they got her from a rescue when she was just a tiny puppy and have had her all these years. she'll call me when she is ready, right now she needs time to adjust and ready to talk, She knows I'm here when she needs me

TTouch

How heartbreaking for your sister, it is never an easy decision to make but made with love for her dog in not wanting her to suffer. She needs time to grieve but nice she has a sister who can be there to support her when she is ready

linda2147

Original Poster
hasn't been a good year for her, In Feb, her son and his wife lost a baby , he was born way to soon only 20 weeks, and only weighed one pound and just lived less than a day. Would have been her first grandchild and they were devastated. Now she lost her dog. Going to take time for her and her family Not much anyone can do for her right now.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
My condolences for her son and his wife, losing a baby must be heart wrenching....so sad. :(

TTouch

hasn't been a good year for her, In Feb, her son and his wife lost a baby , he was born way to soon only 20 weeks, and only weighed one pound and just lived less than a day. Would have been her first grandchild and they were devastated. Now she lost her dog. Going to take time for her and her family Not much anyone can do for her right now.
That is so sad

linda2147

Original Poster
my sister is not much better today but she does know she did the right thing, but its still hard to accept she's gone. The dog was well cared for all her life, never went out anything. And she was almost 15 years old. And there comes a time when no more can be done for them, and you can't let them suffer, so she absolutely did the right thing In time she will realize it. Not there yet but it will happen.

Ruby Tuesday

I am very sorry to hear that about your sisters dog passing 15 which is a good age for small or large dog. if stood around to 15 it was happy to be with sister. She did great for her dog it's sounds like. Mostly cause no unhappy dog sick would stay that long unless it was loved.
lost my large German Shepherd. My GS passed away 8 days ago I had to put her down at age 12 plus many elements
non cancer lapomas
cancer ones
The kick was weaken very badback legs, no longer to run and play.
At the end was unable to Sleep in a comfortable position any more

Started not Standing to eat I
In the end she was trying to hang on as long as she I did not want to let her torture herself anymore if for me

It was one of the hardest things to do for me I was there to the end.

As much as I am heart broken.I understood it was for the best no matter how much I hurt I gave my dog a great life and I'm sure your sister gave a great life too and that's all they wanted from us in the end

Attachments

Last edited:

Ruby Tuesday

I haven't talked to her yet today, she was pretty upset when she called me last night, She'll call me wen she is ready ut right now I don't think she wants to talk to anyone. they got her from a rescue when she was just a tiny puppy and have had her all these years. she'll call me when she is ready, right now she needs time to adjust and ready to talk, She knows I'm here when she needs me
Give week I told everyone
Just give me a week to let me process

same with them I was unable to talk this first week without crying if some one said anything