My Sr. Kittys last days

Laura H

Hello, I came to this forum to see if anyone out there can help me understand my Sr. D/sh
Behavior. She is 18 yo and up until this past week she had been doing quite well, but in the last couple of days she has almost compleatly quit eating. I must add the she is also pretty much blind,but this evening she started walking rather wobbly , and in tight circles to the right as though she is unable to break out of that pattern. I know that she is probly not long for this world, but I want to know that she is as comfortable as possible and not in any pain. Can anyone say if this behavior is normal .

TTouch

Hi and welcome.

For cats that are not eating there can be long and diverse reasons, obviously age related is primary but can include kidney disease, cat flu, diabetes, fever, hyperthyroidism and pancreatitis. Dental problems, pain and internal obstructions may also result in your cat not eating.

The vestibular system is the part of the nervous system that controls balance. When the vestibular system is not working properly, cats will often show signs such as circling (to one side), falling or rolling to one side, a head tilt, and nystagmus (beating of the eyes back and forth).

The ONLY person who can tell you what you ask is someone who can see and examine your cat and that would be your vet

CatMom1994

Welcome to the forum.

Nothing you described is normal. When a cat is not eating, hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver disease) can occur in just two days. This is life-threatening. Take her to the vet ASAP.

linda2147

Please take her to a vet asap. If it something they can't cure then don't let her suffer. I know its hard to make the decision but you don't want to have her last days living in pain. Do the right thing for her and if there is no good outcome from the vet visit let her go peacefully

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Hello, I came to this forum to see if anyone out there can help me understand my Sr. D/sh
Behavior. She is 18 yo and up until this past week she had been doing quite well, but in the last couple of days she has almost compleatly quit eating. I must add the she is also pretty much blind,but this evening she started walking rather wobbly , and in tight circles to the right as though she is unable to break out of that pattern. I know that she is probly not long for this world, but I want to know that she is as comfortable as possible and not in any pain. Can anyone say if this behavior is normal .
Hello and welcome. I'm sorry to hear about your girl, the first thing I thought of is Vestibular Disease, as TTouch mentioned, I had a dog who suffered with that. I agree with all here, for the sake of your cat, it's best to get her to a doctor as soon as possible so she can be treated and suffer needlessly. Please let us know what the vet said and how she's doing.

CatMom1994

Hello and welcome. I'm sorry to hear about your girl, the first thing I thought of is Vestibular Disease, as TTouch mentioned, I had a dog who suffered with that. I agree with all here, for the sake of your cat, it's best to get her to a doctor as soon as possible so she can be treated and suffer needlessly. Please let us know what the vet said and how she's doing.
A few words are missing here. It is supposed to be "she can be treated and not have to suffer needlessly."

Otherwise, I like your post.