My Sweet Shark

haopee

BACON of Light
We had Shark for only a year and a half. He was the handsomest boy in the litter. Our neighbor was selling her dog's puppies to feed her children and my mom decided to take Shark. She paid $5 for him and then our life with him began.

Back then, I wasn't aware of what Parvo was. But then, a month before he died, one of our dogs who lived far away from us died with Parvo signs. As my sister described it, blood was all over the place. A week later, our dog (this other dog's sister) died with the same symptoms.

Scared that someone else might get infected, we both brought Shark and Coal to the vet. Shark was more than a year old back then while Coal was a mere puppy. The veterinarian gave Coal a Parvo vaccination while Shark wasn't given any since the vet told us that only puppies and seniors can catch them. THEY WERE DEAD WRONG! Coal lived, Shark died.

A couple of weeks later, Shark showed the same signs. We brought him to the vet again and he simply said he was poisoning. We told him about the Parvo incident and he dismissed it. He gave us a positive prognosis. The next day, the clinic called us. We greeted them happily expecting to hear good news but they informed us that Shark seized and died a couple of hours ago!

The pain of losing him was unbearable. We were dumbstruck and speechless. We mourned for more than a week.

wombat

Having had a dog that died from parvo (which by the way had been vaccinated but caught it from a new puppy we had just brought home, that had also been vaccinated )I can feel your pain at your loss it is such a horrble and quick death. RIP sweet Shark and Coal.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Haopee, so sorry that you lost your Shark...very lovely dog. :love_heart:

haopee

BACON of Light
Original Poster
awe, he is so cute, and 5$ thats great!
Thank you. Shark's loss was a heart breaker.

We weren't hoping to take Shark from them as I'm not a big fan of encouraging breeding for financial reasons. Unfortunately, the family that was hoping we'd take him didn't have any food and we decided to accept as they weren't giving the dogs to just anybody.

japman19

Parvo is a really terrible thing, my family, who as WAYYYYY to many dogs, had a bad parvo accident, Im not quite sure why the vet would say what he did, my Sasha got parvo when she was two years old and she had all her shots and vaccinations. Out of the number im terrified to mention my family only lost one of their babies. I was very upset because as you can see in this forum i had just lost my best friend in the entire world to cancer, i thought i would lose my Sasha as well. I didnt thankfully, after Cujo passed she was all i had, i love to be surrounded in animals like my family does but i usually only form really strong bonds with one Dog. Just like i did Cujo back when i was seven years old (21 now, she died when i was 21 as well) So when cujo was gone Sasha kept me going, dont think i would have kept on going without Sasha. Its a hard thing, and i agree that is the vets mistake. Parvo is deadly, it can and will kill. Im so sorry for your loss, as someone with social issues Cujo was my best friend in the world and i still want to be with her so bad, i spend nights thinking where she might be, and if she was ok without me, it keeps me up all night. So i know and i can understand loss, but when i got home from the vet after having Cujo put down Sasha just walked up and jumped in my lap. Im never alone! And one day we will see our friends again! I promise! Just always keep in mind that as long as we are animal lovers there is always a puppy out there looking to be someones best friend. =)