Need help l before I have to rehome cats

Arnel99

This is my last effort. I have spent hundreds of dollars trying different litters. I have severe OCD and cannot handle litter tracking in my house. We’ve moved the cat boxes into the under stairs closet, put up obstacles, there’s 4 different cat mats in there, yet somehow they still unleash a huge spray of litter when they exit the closet as if they’ve clenched it between their paws intentionally to throw it when they get out because they know I cannot stand it.

I also have an incredibly keen sense of smell, and I can smell when they’ve used the box immediately with almost every litter we have tried. I need a recommendation for a litter brand and type that will not be possible for them to get out of the closet, and that completely eliminates the smell of their waste. We do scoop the box daily, and I’ll usually remove a poop when I can smell it which is every time, but I don’t have time between being a full time college student, being pregnant, maintaining my household and caring for a toddler to scoop the box every time they pee and I can smell it SO BAD it makes me ill.

Unfortunately with my mental health issues, accepting litter tracking and that my house will always smell like cat urine to me is simply not an option. There is nowhere else in our small flat that the box can go without being too available to my kids. If the litter doesn’t stop coming out of the closet and the urine doesn’t stop making my whole house smell like cat pee, I will have to resort to finding a new home for the cats. We have tried both pine and walnut Pellets-great for tracking, don’t help odor at all. We have tried crystals of all different sizes and brands- don’t really do much for the odor, help with tracking a little but they still fling crystals out the door. Clumping clay litter- helped the most with odor, absolute total nightmare for the litter flinging.

I am not really a fan of the cats at all, I find it really difficult to have them in my house because to me they are filthy and gross and I feel like they make my house filthy and gross. My husband feels very bad about the thought of rehoming them, which is why we’ve spent so much trying to solve the issue, but unfortunately for the sake of my mental health these issues need to improve or I need them out of my house.

CatMom1994

I am not really a fan of the cats at all, I find it really difficult to have them in my house because to me they are filthy and gross and I feel like they make my house filthy and gross. My husband feels very bad about the thought of rehoming them, which is why we’ve spent so much trying to solve the issue, but unfortunately for the sake of my mental health these issues need to improve or I need them out of my house.
There is your answer. If you don't like cats, don't have cats. They need to live with people who love them and accept all the messes cats make.

While pregnant, you should never clean the litterbox anyway. Your husband should have been doing it the whole time.

Reactions: LPC

LPC

Your last paragraph says it all. I fully understand about your domestic commitments and your mental health issues, plus the fact that you are pregnant. With OCD, you must be finding things very difficult.

However, if you don't like kittens because of the mess they make, and you regard them as "filthy and gross", then the safest answer both for them and for your mental health is to find them homes where they will loved and appreciated.