Need help

MaMar

So I have a situation, my hubby and I purchased two puppies and we were told that these puppies were shepherd labs. Now we the previous owners to get some more info after our purchase because they did not even look like what we were told. And then when we called the vet and she came over she was even Stating that one looked older than the other And we were trying our best to get back in touch with the breeders. with that being said we’re posting two pics of our lovely puppies and we need help to figure out what they are. Their names are Maisie and Marley two females. We love them dearly I just want to know what they are. Thank you for your help in advance.

Attachments

linda2147

I do see some shepherd in the one on the left, I don't see it on the one on the right, But they are to young to really know, have to wait and see how they mature. But really what difference does it make, you love them and no matter what they are they all need homes, you love them and they love you so it doesn't matter. But raising two pups together is a challenge. You may see the training difficult as they will bond to each other more than to you. And with two you'll always wonder who did what. Unless you catch one of them "in the act" you can't be sure.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
My sister told me one of her dogs is Labrador/samoyed the first time I went to her house. Later she bought a breed test kit to find out for sure and the result was Labrador/chow chow.

Maybe the black snout made their breeder think Marley is a shepherd mix? That is the only thing I see there. German shepherds are not that color. Niether are Labradors. She is something totally different.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Hi MaMar, welcome to the forum! Your girls are adorable! They could both be Shepherd mixes, I can't really tell. I agree with Linda, if you love them and they love being part of your home and heart, then the actual breeds shouldn't matter too much. From the photos, the one on the left does look older to me, I guess they weren't from the same litter? Did you ever see the parents, or at least pictures of the parents?

APafDog&CatMom

This is, unfortunately, common in my area. My dogs are not what I was told they were either. I knew about puppy mills when I got my eldest, but not about puppy mill resellers.

Maisie and Marley are adorable, whatever their genetic background, and it is actually a very positive thing if they are from two different litters. You can do a search for the term "littermate syndrome" and feel good about dodging that bullet.

I was upset when I realized that my eldest was not the breeds I had been told and was very close to ordering a DNA test for her until my younger dog came into my life--she needed a home more than I needed to know.

My friend bought a DNA test kit for her alleged "Papillon" because his health issues were severe, she spent her life's savings and a significant amount of time looking for and being waitlisted by his alleged breeder, and then the "breeder"'s website and other contact info went dead. He looks almost exactly like my eldest dog and the test results showed Chihuahua and Yorkshire Terrier.

The joke was on me when I started doing serious research on Yorkies, a breed I had always disliked because of negative media stereotypes, and found out that most of the temperament and personality characteristics that I particularly love about my dog are typical of the Yorkshire Terrier.

But my other dog is pretty awesome too. I'm just glad that we found each other.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
The safest thing to do if you want to know your dog's breed is get it at a breed rescue organization, but you probably are not close to one.

But as we all know, the breed does not matter if you love her personality!

MaMar

Original Poster
I do see some shepherd in the one on the left, I don't see it on the one on the right, But they are to young to really know, have to wait and see how they mature. But really what difference does it make, you love them and no matter what they are they all need homes, you love them and they love you so it doesn't matter. But raising two pups together is a challenge. You may see the training difficult as they will bond to each other more than to you. And with two you'll always wonder who did what. Unless you catch one of them "in the act" you can't be sure.
It’s funny you said that about bonding but they fight a lot and cling to me more. The are always competing with each other especially for either me or hubby’s affection or attention hahaha

MaMar

Original Poster
This is, unfortunately, common in my area. My dogs are not what I was told they were either. I knew about puppy mills when I got my eldest, but not about puppy mill resellers.

Maisie and Marley are adorable, whatever their genetic background, and it is actually a very positive thing if they are from two different litters. You can do a search for the term "littermate syndrome" and feel good about dodging that bullet.

I was upset when I realized that my eldest was not the breeds I had been told and was very close to ordering a DNA test for her until my younger dog came into my life--she needed a home more than I needed to know.

My friend bought a DNA test kit for her alleged "Papillon" because his health issues were severe, she spent her life's savings and a significant amount of time looking for and being waitlisted by his alleged breeder, and then the "breeder"'s website and other contact info went dead. He looks almost exactly like my eldest dog and the test results showed Chihuahua and Yorkshire Terrier.

The joke was on me when I started doing serious research on Yorkies, a breed I had always disliked because of negative media stereotypes, and found out that most of the temperament and personality characteristics that I particularly love about my dog are typical of the Yorkshire Terrier.

But my other dog is pretty awesome too. I'm just glad that we found each other.
I love my girls but they’re so rambunctious hahaha. We. Were told by Petsmart that we can pay $100 per pop to find out what is our dogs DNA. We laughed and both decided whatever they are we’re going to love them forever. They’re pretty awesome puppies and I know that they’re going to get pretty big so we wait. I will keep giving updates and thank you guys so very much.

MaMar

Original Poster
they are not fighting, pups that young don't fight, they play fight, its a way of bonding to each other
But they’re biting each other and leaving marks. They are bonding yes because we realize that if one cries the other hugs or kisses the other

MaMar

Original Poster
My sister told me one of her dogs is Labrador/samoyed the first time I went to her house. Later she bought a breed test kit to find out for sure and the result was Labrador/chow chow.

Maybe the black snout made their breeder think Marley is a shepherd mix? That is the only thing I see there. German shepherds are not that color. Niether are Labradors. She is something totally different.
Hubby thinks she’s a mastiff. Oh my oh my hahaha

MaMar

Original Poster
Hi MaMar, welcome to the forum! Your girls are adorable! They could both be Shepherd mixes, I can't really tell. I agree with Linda, if you love them and they love being part of your home and heart, then the actual breeds shouldn't matter too much. From the photos, the one on the left does look older to me, I guess they weren't from the same litter? Did you ever see the parents, or at least pictures of the parents?
Alpha1 I’m still waiting to meet the parents. We were told the parents were at the vet then they were not able to take pics...we got tired and got our babies. It doesn’t matter anymore but hubby and I play this guessing game daily and we love guessing but we’re exhausted 😁😂

MaMar

Original Poster
The safest thing to do if you want to know your dog's breed is get it at a breed rescue organization, but you probably are not close to one.

But as we all know, the breed does not matter if you love her personality!
Yaaaaayyyy that’s so true. They keep us laughing especially when it’s bath time. No noise from them just a lot of kisses and hugs

MaMar

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome Alpha1

MaMar

Original Poster
Ok I have another situation and I need more advice. My precious Maisie has dry skin and she’s biting away at her skin which leaves it looking raw. I’ve given her Benadryl and omega 3 but now she’s refusing to take either. My heart is breaking when I see her scratching and whimpering. What can I do next? Oh yeah, I’ve washed her with all natural puppy wash. I need advice again.

linda2147

get some unscented baby wipes, wipe her feet, belly and face everytime she comes in from outside to get as much of the allergin off her as possible. Do not use anything scented around her, no scented candles, no room sprays, no scented laundry soap on anything she comes in contacat with.
Get some "missing link" add one spoonful of it daily to her food. this is all the vitamins and minerals she might be missing in her diet. Will give her a nice soft shiny coat.
Get a bottle of liquid colloidal silver, mix it half and half with water, put in spray bottle and spray her down twice a day, this will kill any bacteria on her skin. You can also put two drops in each ear daily for any yeast that may be in her ears and help avoiding ear infections.

if this doesn't work you will have to take her to a vet to check for mites or fleas, could be a flea allergy and just one flea bite will cause a reaction. If its mites they must be killed with meds from a vet. Two different kinds of mites, one causes mange and mites are contagious so keep an eye on the other dog.

if its a food allergy none of the above will help. You would have to find out what she is allergic to and change her food accordingly

if you go with the colloidal silver you MUST give a probiotic daily. The silver will kill any bacteria including the bacteria in her gut which she needs to stay healthy so it must be replaced with the probiotic. Actually both dogs should be getting a probiotic daily anyway. 85% pf a dog's health originates in the gut so its imperative to keep the gut healthy

Last edited: