Need help

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Linda why don't vets base the rabies vaccine dose on the dog's weight? That looks like overdosing to me.

MaMar

Original Poster
Are they at least four months old and done with their other shots? Rabies is the last shot puppies get in the standard vaccine protocol.
@CatMom yes they are. When we got them we were told so many stories but got them to another vet and he said they’re about 4months old. I hope he’s right my head hurts

MaMar

Original Poster
Thanks again I really feel like I’ve gotten more from you guys than the 2 vets. With what was stated here I went in with my questions and the last vet seemed perturbed by my questions but as I stated to him, he can either answer them or I’ll take my business elsewhere. I need to be informed and if he’s gonna give an attitude then later dude. He answered some not all and his responses were sketchy. I’ll stick with my first vet because she knows us well and I was annoyed that she couldn’t tell me what kind of pups my girls were. Thanks again everyone will keep you all posted 🥰

linda2147

We as pet parents trust our vets to do the right thing. But as much as I love my vet I will question and do research before letting them do anything I'm not comfortable with. We still have the final say as to what's given or procedures they want to do on our pets. Don't assume anything, they are as human as the rest of us and can make mistakes. Trust your instincts, listen to the vet but if it doesn't sit well with you refuse treatment or shots. Its in your dog's best interest to be proactive.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Would you recommend Benedryl before the rabies shot? I've heard that it can help minimize risks of vaccinosis.

I was able to get my vet to give me a medical deferral for Laurel's because the laws in my area are so overzealous. It's the law that you have to have a dog license at four months and you have to show proof of rabies vaccination every.single.year.

My understanding is that the shot is usually good for at least three years for dogs and probably for life for cats.
The law is your pet must be up to date on the rabies vaccine. If it is the three-year version, that will be documented in medical records, so it is not a problem.

I would not recommend giving the rabies shot to a dog on drugs. It just does not make sense.