Need Help

atf212

We let our dog out earlier today and its really hot outside and we let him back in and we were scared he was having a heat stroke. Well hegotbetter then all of a sudden his hair started fallong out and now this is the result. My girlfriend is really scared and we really dont know if its the sun/heat thats causing this or what. Help os greatly appreciated!

Attachments

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
That looks serious and very painful. I agree with ZoOK, and would get him to the vet as soon as possible before infection sets in, and he can get some meds for the pain, perhaps topical medicine to help until it heals.

I can't emphasize enough to watch your pets in summer heat, their skin or paws can be burned from hot surfaces or the sun, and heatstroke can cause brain damage and dehydration. Always provide a shaded area for pets, and bring them back in quickly in very hot or cold weather. They depend on us to watch out for their health and well-being.

Good luck, please let us know what the doctor said and did for him.

linda2147

doesn't look like a sun burn to me, unless the hair was very thing in that area Looks more like a chemical burn to me. Could he have rolled in something caustic? Or otherwise came in contact with something that had acid or some other burning agent on it. Regardless he needs to see a vet ASAP

atf212

Original Poster
That looks serious and very painful. I agree with ZoOK, and would get him to the vet as soon as possible before infection sets in, and he can get some meds for the pain, perhaps topical medicine to help until it heals.

I can't emphasize enough to watch your pets in summer heat, their skin or paws can be burned from hot surfaces or the sun, and heatstroke can cause brain damage and dehydration. Always provide a shaded area for pets, and bring them back in quickly in very hot or cold weather. They depend on us to watch out for their health and well-being.

Good luck, please let us know what the doctor said and did for him.
Ok Thank You!

atf212

Original Poster
doesn't look like a sun burn to me, unless the hair was very thing in that area Looks more like a chemical burn to me. Could he have rolled in something caustic? Or otherwise came in contact with something that had acid or some other burning agent on it. Regardless he needs to see a vet ASAP
He does have thin hair, we brought hum back inside and then i had left and my girlfriend sent me pictures of his hair fallong out about an hour after we brought him back inside, then it started to look like what you see in the pic. I’ve talked to other people and they say he might be developing a sun allergy? He has improved alot since yesterday after treating him though.

atf212

Original Poster
He does have thin hair, we brought hum back inside and then i had left and my girlfriend sent me pictures of his hair fallong out about an hour after we brought him back inside, then it started to look like what you see in the pic

linda2147

if he was white I might think sunburn, but a black dog doesn't usually get sunburn plus his nose would be affected because there is no hair on it, So I still think its a chemical burn of some sort.

atf212

Original Poster
if he was white I might think sunburn, but a black dog doesn't usually get sunburn plus his nose would be affected because there is no hair on it, So I still think its a chemical burn of some sort.
Ok thank you!

atf212

Original Poster
We are, just wanted to see what other people thought of it, and the vet wasnt open at the time i posted it thats why i wanted insight from people on here, but thanks to all that provided information!

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
I agree Linda, after looking at the photo again and thinking about it realistically, that wouldn't have been caused just by the sun, and in a one day period of time. The burn area is too isolated, and does look more likely to be cause by some kind of chemical burn. The dog needs medical care for sure, to help with the pain and avoid infection.

@atf212 , what have you been doing for him so far? Have you seen a vet yet, or have an appointment?

atf212

Original Poster
I agree Linda, after looking at the photo again and thinking about it realistically, that wouldn't have been caused just by the sun, and in a one day period of time. The burn area is too isolated, and does look more likely to be cause by some kind of chemical burn. The dog needs medical care for sure, to help with the pain and avoid infection.

@atf212 , what have you been doing for him so far? Have you seen a vet yet, or have an appointment?
We put aloe vera on him the night the night he started that, but we brought him to the animal hosptial and they are treating him accordingly! Thanks for all of everyones input! Appreciate it greatly!

atf212

Original Poster
I have no clue i have been busy working i’m waiting to hear from my girlfriend she is the one that brought him.

atf212

Original Poster
From what my girlfriend told me he is going to be alright and he is getting the proper care he needs!

atf212

Original Poster
The vet was closed we had to bring him to the animal hospital about 30 minutes away. He is supposed to undergo surgery monday.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
The vet was closed we had to bring him to the animal hospital about 30 minutes away. He is supposed to undergo surgery monday.
@atf212 , did they say the burn was from the sun, or a chemical burn? I hope the surgery goes well, they must be doing a skin graft as Linda suggested?

ZoOK33p3r

Zookeeper
I hope the dog is okay and very happy to see it was brought in to see a vet.