Need Information on Vitamins and minerals

Walker86

Hello, I’m new on here. I just started home cooking my dogs food. I want to feed them only natural ingredients. Any recipes or info is greatly appreciated. I have a 12 year old Rat Terrier and a 14 year old Chihuahua.

linda2147

mix honest kitchen with the homemade meals, about 1/4 cup of honest kitchen with same amount warm water , let sit until thicken then mix with the food that is all the gruits and veggies they need also give about one spoonful of missing link which all\\\ is all the vitamins and minerals they need get the missing link for skin and coat, gives them a beautiful coat. I've been feeding a raw diet for years and this is what I add to the food. Ra
is better than cooked and they can have bones as long asa they a\ aren't cooked cooking makes them brittle. Just as a side note feed 2-3 percent of their body weight.

Last edited:

linda2147

if you are feeding a good quality dog food or a good raw diet no other vitamins are needed. They can actually overdose on to many vitamins

Walker86

Original Poster
When I make my dog food, I cook 8 lbs ground bison, 8 lbs skinless/ boneless chicken thighs, and 16oz beef liver let it cool completely. Break the meat up, then with a food processor, I process Kale, Carrots, Green Beans, and peas. Mix the uncooked veggies, Cooked Brown Rice, cooked meat, and 4-5 cans sardines (Wild Caught skinless and boneless sardines in water with no salt added) I add 18 tsp calcium powder (Animal Essentials Seaweed Calcium Supplement Powder) at the end. Whenever I feed them, I add 1 Tsp of Only Natural Pet Senior Ultimate Daily Vitamin powder. Am I missing something to add? or adding too much?

Last edited:

linda2147

I have fed a raw diet for years, I change the protein source but basically use the same method for all. I'll say chicken but you can change the protein source if you want to I grind chicken bones and all then to each meal I add 1/4 cup of honest kitchen mixed with equal amount of water and let it ssit until thickened then add to the meat, then add 1 tablespoon of missing link for skin and coat that is all the vitamins and minerals they may be missing in the diet. If you can't grind the bones give them bone meal because if they don't get enough bone in their diet they will have loose stools. If you go with the bone meal make sure its for animals as they do make one for plants and that one is toxic to pets. The honest kitchen is all the fruits and beggies they need. Feed 2-3 percent of body weight divided into two meals a day. raw is better for them than cooked as cooking kills some of the nutrients they need I use about one pound of hearts and gizzards to ten pounds of chicken mixed in with the ground chicken.