Need some advice on when its time

jj1231

Hello there.
I have a 14 year old dog . Not sure of the breed because we rescued her as a pup. I think she has a little shepherd , beagle, boxer in her. Well any way we are having a tough time deciding if its time to let her go. Yes I know a doctor will be the one to talk to and we have an appointment coming up. To me I think she is not ready to go yet. She has some arthritis in her back legs. she still goes up and down the steps just a little slow, she goes faster if following a treat. . She still has an appetite and loves catching treats. She does have occasional accidents in the house. A few times she has peed while she was sleeping but that seemed to happen only after giving her doggy aspirin. Some days are better than others She gets extremely thirsty at night and wakes me up to get her water and leave her outside and then she'll go back to sleep. I work from home and she seems to know when it is working hours because she will lay in my office all day with me. She sleeps most of the time. I just don't know what to do, and I would like to hear from pet owners before going to the Vet.

Attachments

linda2147

its always a hard decision to have to make but if the dog still pllays ad eats ad is happy unless she is in constant pain I wouldn't put her down. when the time comes that she has more bad days than good then its time to rethink your decision

mechi2

Your dog is doing way better than my 16 year chihuahua. My dog can barely walk now because of some neurological disorder but the only thing I can see that would bring me to put her down is if she was yelping in pain. As it is she mostly sleeps now.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Hello there.
I have a 14 year old dog . Not sure of the breed because we rescued her as a pup. I think she has a little shepherd , beagle, boxer in her. Well any way we are having a tough time deciding if its time to let her go. Yes I know a doctor will be the one to talk to and we have an appointment coming up. To me I think she is not ready to go yet. She has some arthritis in her back legs. she still goes up and down the steps just a little slow, she goes faster if following a treat. . She still has an appetite and loves catching treats. She does have occasional accidents in the house. A few times she has peed while she was sleeping but that seemed to happen only after giving her doggy aspirin. Some days are better than others She gets extremely thirsty at night and wakes me up to get her water and leave her outside and then she'll go back to sleep. I work from home and she seems to know when it is working hours because she will lay in my office all day with me. She sleeps most of the time. I just don't know what to do, and I would like to hear from pet owners before going to the Vet.
I recommend that you just watch her and keep loving her to make her time with you comforting and quality. Sounds like she's not that bad to put her down, especially since she can do steps and even go faster when lured with a treat. Incontinence is common with older dogs, especially at night or while taking a nap. There are doggie diapers that you can use at night to assure there are no messes on your carpets or floors. Good that she's sleeping well and seems content. Make her time with you the best it can be for her, when she's no longer with you, you will find comfort that you did. Good luck, welcome.....wishing the best for the both of you.

Summer

I just had to make that hard decision a few weeks ago! My 12 yr old had Wobbler's Syndrome and had a bad time getting up and walking. I knew it was time when she started falling. She would fall and I knew it was causing her pain. As long as she wasn't hurting I did everything in my power to help her!! I could not let her hurt, so I made the right (yet hard) decision!! Hope that helps you!!

mechi2

How do you know falling was causing her pain? My chi now can't take a few steps without falling, when I see her struggling to walk or stand I feel it's best that she be put down but just can't do it. The only thing I can see me going through with it is if she's howling in pain.

Sorry for hijacking the thread

Summer

How do you know falling was causing her pain? My chi now can't take a few steps without falling, when I see her struggling to walk or stand I feel it's best that she be put down but just can't do it. The only thing I can see me going through with it is if she's howling in pain.

Sorry for hijacking the thread
She would whine loudly, cry! She would fall/ collapse in bad positions, could not get up.

mechi2

Thanks for the quick reply. My dog falls either on the side or forward hitting her head on the floor but so far she has been able to pick herself up although I noticed now it's getting to be more of a struggle for her to pick herself up after a fall. She only whines and lately she started barking when she is getting ready to lie down for a nap, like she can't get comfortable, but once she's settled in she sleeps soundly.

Summer

My girl's falls were horrible! There was no doubt she was hurting. I am devastated after losing her! The cats look for her. One of the barn cats that saw my husband and I bury her sits on her grave! It's such a huge void in all our lives. No doubt it was time to make the decision!! Our vet came to our house on a Sunday morning to put her down, so much better!!

mechi2

So sorry for your loss, I certainly know how difficult it was to make that decision. I had one dog that was put down and another that died on its own. The loss is so much easier to take when they die on their own but then you go through the guilt of maybe you let them suffer too long. My Mom discouraged me from getting another dog after my previous one died, she said why do you want to put yourself through this again? I should have listened but I just love so much having a dog around.

Summer

So sorry for your loss, I certainly know how difficult it was to make that decision. I had one dog that was put down and another that died on its own. The loss is so much easier to take when they die on their own but then you go through the guilt of maybe you let them suffer too long. My Mom discouraged me from getting another dog after my previous one died, she said why do you want to put yourself through this again? I should have listened but I just love so much having a dog around.
I'll have more! I can provide a good loving home, there are so many that need that. I'd rather know I gave a dog it's best life possible than not have a dog!

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
I just had to make that hard decision a few weeks ago! My 12 yr old had Wobbler's Syndrome and had a bad time getting up and walking. I knew it was time when she started falling. She would fall and I knew it was causing her pain. As long as she wasn't hurting I did everything in my power to help her!! I could not let her hurt, so I made the right (yet hard) decision!! Hope that helps you!!
I'm sorry for your loss.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
My Mom discouraged me from getting another dog after my previous one died, she said why do you want to put yourself through this again? I should have listened but I just love so much having a dog around.
I'm glad you didn't listen to her. All of us who have had dogs and cats come to the time when we have to say goodbye. When you bring a dog into your home and your heart, you make their lives so good. When you care for them and love them every day, you bring light into their existence. We all know we will lose our pets at some point in time, but that shouldn't deny them the chance to share their years with you, especially if you love having a dog around.....hugs.