New dog soon.

Summer

My husband and I lost our dear old gal about a month ago. We definately want to give another dog or two a loving wonderful home!! Our two house cats will have a hard time accepting new comers! We have always had dogs and cats and know we have a good handle on the upcoming new arrangement, but I would welcome all advice you all have to offer!!

linda2147

if you get an adult dog you need to keep it leashed to you around the cats, you have no way of knowing how an adult dog will react to cats. A puppy is active and will likely want to chase the cats to play. He must be taught to leave kitty alone.

Summer

Original Poster
if you get an adult dog you need to keep it leashed to you around the cats, you have no way of knowing how an adult dog will react to cats. A puppy is active and will likely want to chase the cats to play. He must be taught to leave kitty alone.
The youngest cat is 13 months old and only knew our last dog, she loved kitties and was very tolerant. The older cat soon to be 6 years old does not handle new situations well at first. I'll probably use vacation time when I do get another dog. Knock on wood, over the past 35 years we always had our four legged living arrangements work just fine. But advice is always needed and appreciated. When the day comes I'll be posting our progress and asking for more advice!!

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
My husband and I lost our dear old gal about a month ago. We definately want to give another dog or two a loving wonderful home!! Our two house cats will have a hard time accepting new comers! We have always had dogs and cats and know we have a good handle on the upcoming new arrangement, but I would welcome all advice you all have to offer!!
I'm sorry for your loss. Good luck in getting another dog who is hopefully cat friendly. You may want two dogs, but I strongly recommend getting one at a time and making sure everyone is calm and getting along well before going further. You must be excited, wishing you the best. :)

Summer

Original Poster
My dear girl was so perfect, the bar is set high. I can never replace her, but there are so many that need a good home. It's so strange not having a dog right now!!

jessiebenko942

My dear girl was so perfect, the bar is set high. I can never replace her, but there are so many that need a good home. It's so strange not having a dog right now!!
Looks like you and your husband are very attached to your pets and having good family with them
but as there living age is not much almost everyone suffers there loss

caitlin.christian9

Summer, that is great that you want to give another dog or two a loving home! I think the most important thing is to protect your cats from any new dogs that you get. I'm a veterinary technician and I have seen plenty of cats get injured by dogs and need extensive wound care and surgeries. I would also make sure that you have high perches and safe spaces the cats can go to be safe once they are alone in the house with your dogs and you aren't home 24/7. I would also immediately correct any time that your new dog or dogs are getting too rough with the cats. If you establish that safety and boundary that your cats are never to be harmed by your dogs from the very beginning, your dogs will learn it and do very well in the future. Best of luck!