New Dog with behavorial problems

Dinah

Hello everyone....

We have recently acquired a long legged Jack Russell Terrier from people who said they were giving the dog away because they both work and the dog stayed in a cage all day and had no time for the dog. They have had the dog since a puppy and he is now almost 5 years old.

When we went to look at him he seemed to be a pleasant dog and was a beautiful dog altho a little thin. He was spayed, they said housebroken but we were shocked at his behavior the first week we had him.

He started drinking water constantly and peeing all over the house. He also acted hungry for food which made us think he had diabetes. He would run into walls or anything in his way.

He walks over other pets that are sleeping in their beds as tho he doesn't see them. He runs up into things destroying them and will hide behind doors or any cubby hole he finds. He will stand with his nose up to a wall until he gets sleepy and will fall down.

At first he made no noise, no barking, whinning nothing. Now he will whine when he gets himself caught up under something and cannot get out and we have to go rescue him.

I have a cat and we were told he had never seen a cat before and did not know how he would react. He attempts a bark which makes me think he may have had his vocal cord cut. The vet said he is not blind, he does not have diabetes and all blood work was good. We do not know what to do next.

Last edited by a moderator:

mechi2

Being couped up in a cage all day, he doesn't know how to behave when he's got more freedom, and a new surrounding is probably also causing him some anxiety. He needs training and learning house rules which will require time and patience.

Dinah

Original Poster
Being couped up in a cage all day, he doesn't know how to behave when he's got more freedom, and a new surrounding is probably also causing him some anxiety. He needs training and learning house rules which will require time and patience.
Thank you for your reply...he shows no emotion and does not respond to love. We feel he has been caged most of his life and went into a vast amount of freedom here. Our house is large and he constantly paces and paces all over it. Same with a huge yard. My daughter says she can't take it anymore as he keeps her up at night waking up and wanting to go out.

linda2147

the dog you saw in his original home is not the dog you brought home. once he gets comfortable in you home his real personality will show. Obviously the dog never got the attention and training he needed, now you are going to have to teach him everything. Start by teaching him words, like "outside" "go potty" eac. Take things slow, one thing at a time, once e's mastered one command go to the next one. Keep the training sessions sort like ten minutes three or four times a day, tolong and he'll loose interest and not learn what you want him to.l He can be taught and with time and patience he'll learn. He's overwhelmed with the freedom he now has after living in a cage most of his life Be patient with him, praise and treats when he gets things right and ignore what he does wrong, just retrain him until he gets it right. He'll be fine, just give him time and commit ourself to training.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Hello everyone....

We have recently acquired a long legged Jack Russell Terrier from people who said they were giving the dog away because they both work and the dog stayed in a cage all day and had no time for the dog. They have had the dog since a puppy and he is now almost 5 years old.

When we went to look at him he seemed to be a pleasant dog and was a beautiful dog altho a little thin. He was spayed, they said housebroken but we were shocked at his behavior the first week we had him.

He started drinking water constantly and peeing all over the house. He also acted hungry for food which made us think he had diabetes. He would run into walls or anything in his way.

He walks over other pets that are sleeping in their beds as tho he doesn't see them. He runs up into things destroying them and will hide behind doors or any cubby hole he finds. He will stand with his nose up to a wall until he gets sleepy and will fall down.

At first he made no noise, no barking, whinning nothing. Now he will whine when he gets himself caught up under something and cannot get out and we have to go rescue him.

I have a cat and we were told he had never seen a cat before and did not know how he would react. He attempts a bark which makes me think he may have had his vocal cord cut. The vet said he is not blind, he does not have diabetes and all blood work was good. We do not know what to do next.
Hello and welcome! I'm glad you adopted the terrier and are giving him a good home. He obviously has been ignored and possibly abused, keeping any dog in a crate all day without any love or social interaction is abuse.

How long have you had him, and what other pets do you have? I think he needs a lot of attention and training, as already suggested. You can put him on a leash in the house and hang out with him in every room for awhile, let him sniff and get used to his new surroundings. Be gentle with him, be positive with training and please be patient with him....he's dealing with a lot of changes and it's overwhelming.

Terriers may not always be good around cats, so watch out for the kitty until you know how he's going to react. All the other pets should get regular one on one introductions, in a room in the house or in the yard.

Glad his health is okay. If he's getting caught up under things, I'm wondering if one of your other pets is chasing him. If you have another dog, it would be a great idea to put a leash on the two of them, and take them for a long walk or two every day. They will bond with each other, and he will bond with you too.

Good luck, it will take some work, time and patience....but it will be well worth it in the end.

Dinah

Original Poster
the dog you saw in his original home is not the dog you brought home. once he gets comfortable in you home his real personality will show. Obviously the dog never got the attention and training he needed, now you are going to have to teach him everything. Start by teaching him words, like "outside" "go potty" eac. Take things slow, one thing at a time, once e's mastered one command go to the next one. Keep the training sessions sort like ten minutes three or four times a day, tolong and he'll loose interest and not learn what you want him to.l He can be taught and with time and patience he'll learn. He's overwhelmed with the freedom he now has after living in a cage most of his life Be patient with him, praise and treats when he gets things right and ignore what he does wrong, just retrain him until he gets it right. He'll be fine, just give him time and commit ourself to training.
Thank you Linda for the suggestions....he's now living with 3 elderly people who are home all the time so hope we can help him.

linda2147

you are going to have to start over and treat him as if he is a small puppy, treats and praise work wonders. "Show him the leash and say "walk" then take him, he will soon associate the word walk with the leash and know he's going outside. Do this with all commands one at a time, you'll be surprised how fast he catches on. Like I said ignore mistakes and praise and treats when he does something right Its not his fault he doesn't know anything, no one took the time to teach him, dogs and kids are a lot alike, they never learn anything good on their own

Dinah

Original Poster
Hello and welcome! I'm glad you adopted the terrier and are giving him a good home. He obviously has been ignored and possibly abused, keeping any dog in a crate all day without any love or social interaction is abuse.

How long have you had him, and what other pets do you have? I think he needs a lot of attention and training, as already suggested. You can put him on a leash in the house and hang out with him in every room for awhile, let him sniff and get used to his new surroundings. Be gentle with him, be positive with training and please be patient with him....he's dealing with a lot of changes and it's overwhelming.

Terriers may not always be good around cats, so watch out for the kitty until you know how he's going to react. All the other pets should get regular one on one introductions, in a room in the house or in the yard.

Glad his health is okay. If he's getting caught up under things, I'm wondering if one of your other pets is chasing him. If you have another dog, it would be a great idea to put a lhim.Thank on the two of them, and take them for a long walk or two every day. They will bond with each other, and he will bond with you too.

Good luck, it will take some work, time and patience....but it will be well worth it in the end.
Thank you for your reply. We have had the dog 2 weeks now and there has been some improvement. He has stopped drinking so much water and peeing everywhere. Apparently that was nervous being in a new place. He is intrigued with the cat and has not tried to hurt her but I did catch him standing over her. The cat is the reason he made any kind of sound. The cat growled at him and he tried to make a barking sound out of fear. The other pets living here are 2 little dogs, a rat terrier and a Chihuahua. They stay away from him as they don't understand his actions. Neither do we at this point. He goes up under tables and behind the beds and doors and can't find a way out until we rescue him. My daughter and son in law live with me and he was supposed to be my son in laws dog and is but it's taking all 3 of us to take care of him.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
@Dinah, it does sound like a combination of fear, stress and perhaps some PTSD from his past life. If they debarked him, they may have yelled at him and beat him for it at first. I think with time and TLC, he'll improve. Does he walk okay on a leash? Even if you had to take him alone, without another dog, it would be a good idea for training and bonding. 2 weeks really isn't much time, he has certain behaviors and habits that will have to subside when he can relax and trust everyone around him.

Dinah

Original Poster
@Dinah, it does sound like a combination of fear, stress and perhaps some PTSD from his past life. If they debarked him, they may have yelled at him and beat him for it at first. I think with time and TLC, he'll improve. Does he walk okay on a leash? Even if you had to take him alone, without another dog, it would be a good idea for training and bonding. 2 weeks really isn't much time, he has certain behaviors and habits that will have to subside when he can relax and trust everyone around him.
Yes he seems comfortable on a leash. I forgot to mention he was living in an apartment. I can see now we introduced him to too much freedom at first.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
I agree Mechi, I think most Jack Russells at the dog park were always busy, constantly fetching balls for their owners as they walked around. They like to have a 'job', like Border Collies, etc.