new kitten owner

festiveegg

I just (About a week ago) got my first pet ever, A 3-4 month old kitten I adopted from the shelter. Sometimes he can be really sweet but he is always on edge. If there are wrinkles in my clothes he will pounce at it or if I am under a blanket he will literally jump and then get scared when I move. He also will freak out on his shadow/reflection and ends up hurting himself. I've had to gently toss him and boop his nose. The vet said to use a crate for these behaviors. He also wines when I put him in his own room. But when I bring him out he is unpredictable and im scared he will hurt himself or me. He eats and drinks well and has already been neutered/sprayed. I don't want to take him back but I also haven't had anytime to do anything I need to do. When I let him out of his room he wont let me use my phone bites it, watch tv, or read a book. If I clean he stays right up on me. I bought many toys and hes not interested in them.

TTouch

I've had to gently toss him and boop his nose.
WHY would you be doing that, you have a normal active kitten who is playing and learning about the world around him...he needs time to settle in and WANTS you to interact with him, no point in buying toys and expecting him to play with them himself, you need to interact and play with him.

Not sure why your vet suggests you crate a kitten for normal behaviour. cats/kittens are motivated by their primal instincts to hunt, catch, kill, and eat. .... so a toy of a stick or even a long piece of string for him to hunt, catch and kill then you feed him.... ANY animal baby puts everything in their mouths as this is a normal way for them to learn, so biting your phone he is learning...not something that he will enjoy but put your phone down and play with him and you are teaching him, watching TV or you reading a book is boring to him, you are inactive and he wants to learn about everything around him, he wants and NEEDS to play......... and you watch TV/read a book, or get absorbed in your phone when he has been played with, is eating/has eaten so is tired and sleeps

festiveegg

Original Poster
WHY would you be doing that, you have a normal active kitten who is playing and learning about the world around him...he needs time to settle in and WANTS you to interact with him, no point in buying toys and expecting him to play with them himself, you need to interact and play with him.

Not sure why your vet suggests you crate a kitten for normal behaviour. cats/kittens are motivated by their primal instincts to hunt, catch, kill, and eat. .... so a toy of a stick or even a long piece of string for him to hunt, catch and kill then you feed him.... ANY animal baby puts everything in their mouths as this is a normal way for them to learn, so biting your phone he is learning...not something that he will enjoy but put your phone down and play with him and you are teaching him, watching TV or you reading a book is boring to him, you are inactive and he wants to learn about everything around him, he wants and NEEDS to play......... and you watch TV/read a book, or get absorbed in your phone when he has been played with, is eating/has eaten so is tired and sleeps
I walk him 30 mins a day. Also when trying the stick or string he goes and hides and wont come out. I've tried moving it in his line of sight and he still goes after hands or feet with toys. The reason my vet recommended the crate is because when he is alone or not being watched he hurts himself biting his tail has hard as he can ramming his head over and over in the wall (according to the shelter.)

TTouch

The reason my vet recommended the crate is because when he is alone or not being watched he hurts himself biting his tail has hard as he can ramming his head over and over in the wall (according to the shelter.)
Both of which he can do when crated