New to cats

Raddog

I am new to cats for pets. Have had dogs but am older now and have enough physical issues to preclude another dog.
I am really a little lost on the subject of cats, but would like to learn more.
Recently, about 4 months ago, I adopted a cat of about 10 years old, male, neutered and declawed, he was originally a “barn” cat”. Have gotten very fond of him!
We are adapting well to each other and I’m wondering if he should also have companionship of another cat as well as me. I have the opportunity to adopt about a 6-month-old male, also a “barn cat”. He is small now, not very dominant or aggressive, to the point that the owner, my brother, said he probably won’t make it well on “his own” but should make a very good inside pet.
Would a second cat be a good idea.
I’d appreciate any thoughts, concerns, advise. If I went ahead I would neuter the “new” cat.
Would the additional cat share the litter box?, need separate food/water bowls? Etc………..Etc,.....

CatMom1994

Welcome to the forum. Thank you for bringing in a cat who never would have been adopted by anyone else. What is his name?

Two male cats fight over territory. Also, kittens and seniors have opposite energy levels. A female adult would definitely be a much better fit if your new kitty is typical for his gender and age. Whether he should have a feline buddy or not depends on him. Some 10-year old cats like them. Other cats his age prefer being alone.

linda2147

your resident cat may start spraying if you get another male cat. And if he is not used to being with other cats they may not get along. Just because he is neutered doesn't mean he can't spray. They usually don't b but they can and an energetic kitten is not a good fit for an older cat. and if the male kitten is not neutered it will spray. Declawing is not good for any cat at any age. what good is a declawed barn cat?

Some cats are funny about their litterbox, and may not use the box but the floor or bed or something else to use. The food they would probably share but if you decide to use separate bowls feed the same food to both as they will eat each other's food. Also get a water fountain for them. Cats don't drink a lot of water and this along with wet food encourages them to drink. If they don't get enough fluids it can cause urinary crystals. which can kill them if not taken care of.

Last edited:

Raddog

Original Poster
Thanks for your insight, ,makes a lot of sense
Mike

linda2147

also a cat tree is a good investment cats love to climb up in high places. You should also get a fairly large stand up cat scratching post. It will save your furniture and rugs. If you do take on another cat don't declaw. it not only cuts the claw it amputates the toes at the first nuckle. As they get older they can develop arthritis and not be able to dig in the litter box. Its a cruel practice and is very painful for the cat.

Also not a good idea to let them go outside.; Especially declawed they have no way to defend themselves. I have two bengals and a rescue siamese along with a german shepherd, I have two catios that hang in the window like a window air conditioner, it has a swinging type dorr so they can go in and out at will and its all caged in so nothing can get to them or them to anything.