old blind cat can't use litter box

Esme

That sounds like a great idea and should work well...good thinking! I admire all you're doing for Eek. It's not easy but we do our best for our furry family. You just take a breather and come here to be among friends:)

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Thank you. The support I have gotten here really is making me feel less frustrated, so I am forever grateful.

I bought one re-usable large pad to try out. If it goes ok, I will buy more and only use disposables at certain time. This morning's cleanup was so much easier, I just had the one big pad to pick up, and tossed it in the washer set for half hour pre-soak and a post second rinse. I used strictly cloth diapers when my son was a baby, so I think I am ok doing this for the cat. If it works out, I will save a lot of money after initial cost. The one pad I got is about 2ft x 3ft and was $10 at the grocery store. I would need at least 6 of them (use 3 at a time for the space cat is in, and have the second set for when others are in the wash). I think I can get a set of them on eBay which will be less expensive.
Glad you're finding ways to make it work and make things a little easier for you. I admire you for all your efforts, your Eek is grateful and feeling your love I'm sure. :sentimental:

catsandcorals

Original Poster
I heard this banging that woke me up. I got up and discovered Eek in the litter box. I thought he was just freaking out from being stuck, but no, he was and still is having convulsions, for about 15 minutes. I called the 24hr animal hospital. They told me to take him to the vet as soon as I can, but that there is nothing they or I can do while the cat is convulsing (does that mean cats can't take benzodiazapines?).

I have never seen this happen before. I am wondering if it is a sign that it is time for me to let him go. If so, it is the second sign since last night. The first was that when he was in the living room with me before bed, when I went to get him to put him in his area, I had trouble waking him, and momentarily thought he was dead. I was relieved that he was alive, he seemed ok then. I went to bed. Woke up to this.

catsandcorals

Original Poster
I just came out of the vet office. Eek was seizing for about an hour and a half. He was seizing even after they gave him the stuff that makes the animal sleep prior to the death injection, even though the vet said he probably wouldn't, so I was not able to hold him, only pet him one last time. I didn't think I was going to get all emotional, but I did and am really upset right now. Mostly I'm upset because he didn't know I was there. When the cats that had cancer were put down, I held them as they were sleeping before the final drug, and they were awake and aware of me holding them before they actually dozed off.

He was a good cat and a good friend. I will miss him very much.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry...hugs. I can't imagine how upsetting that was for you and disturbing for your kitty. I agree, it was time to say goodbye, I had a dog with epilepsy and a long seizure like that would surely kill them or give them permanent brain damage in my opinion. You must feel very sad not being able to have a peaceful goodbye, but you did everything the right way and acted quickly. May your little Eek rest peacefully now, he had a good loving home and nice life, so you should be comforted by that.

Esme

I am so very sorry to hear about your beloved Eek. It's such a shock and to have to watch him having seizures is rough. You took such good care of him...more than most people would and you have to remember that. I believe Eek knew you were there for him. Once again I'm very sorry for your loss. May Eek be able to see and enjoy the afterlife.

linda2147

I'm sorry you lost your cat but on some level he probably knew you were with him. You gave him a long happy life and stayed with him to the end, have no regrets you did the best you could for him.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Had a very rough morning cleanup wise, and I lost 2 hours of sleep waking up to it (yes, I think I can smell it in my sleep; stomped poo is far stronger than non-stomped). He is all fluffy and clean now though, and doesn't smell like poop.

I think his sniffer does not work very well. I have always believed this to an extent, but now I am sure of it. I think even blind, a cat should be able to easily find a bowl of food, and would not lay in a spot of urine or poop due to the smell. He never even tried to smell anything like other cats, and it was about the same when he could see. I think now he is relying on only sound and the declining cognitive and memory abilities of an aging cat.
Look for toys that make sounds. There are lots of toys that crinkle, jingle, rattle, squeak, or chirp. Make sure there are no loose jingle bells the cat can bite off. Food can be a reward for playing with them when you feed your kitty scheduled meals. For litterbox use, put down a boy that makes noises on contact to help him remember where it is. Try them out in a different room first to make sure he does not scare himself away from the litterbox.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Corals, always remember you were a very good, loving caretaker and did the best you could for Eek. I know it is very hard to see a furry friend pass away. Been there, done that. There is no good time for this to happen, but the time you had with Eek should be cherished forever. :love_heart:

catsandcorals

Original Poster
Thank you folks for the condolences and kind words.

I wish my last image wasn't of him in convulsions. I need to look at some old pictures of him to get it out of my head.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Thank you folks for the condolences and kind words.

I wish my last image wasn't of him in convulsions. I need to look at some old pictures of him to get it out of my head.
I totally understand that. Fortunately it does not take long to start laughing and smiling at those old pictures.