Our love, Tora.

hattrick58

We rescued Tora in 2009 at the approximate age of two. She was a bit anxious, but such a kind girl who loved EVERYONE (read: not a great watchdog). And that’s okay.

So she had anxiety. In 2013, she developed glaucoma in her right eye and lost her vision. If you’re familiar with glaucoma, it’s painful as it puts a great deal of pressure on the optic nerve. We didn’t want her in pain so we had the eye removed. We immediately put her on two different eye drops in her remaining eye, a desperate attempt to save her remaining eye.

She acted normally with visibility in one eye. She enjoyed being inside, kind of a lazy dog but so, so loving. She enjoyed sleeping on the bed with us, hogging all the space.
She was never really food motivated, but ate twice a day like clockwork.

Then in spring of 2018 she lost vision in her left eye. Her pressure was off the chart. We had that eye removed as well.
Her anxiety increased dramatically. So dramatically, we had to put her on benzodiazepines. It settled her down and allowed her to sleep. For a while. But every early morning (usually between 2-4 am), we’d her her tippy tapping around the house. Her pacing was a very, very real concern for us.

We stopped the benzos and started Trazadone. Big mistake. We went back to the benzos.
She recently became arthritic, developed urinary in continence and liver disease. Her anxiety became unmanageable so we added Prozac, Proin for the UI and Cosequin (OTC) for the arthritis.

While her UI improved a bit, her anxiety was full blown out of control.
She stopped eating. I immediately bought wet food which worked for a day, then she showed no interest. We tried everything. She always LOVED carrots; wouldn’t take a second look. We mixed her favorite ingredients. Nothing.

Out of desperation, I fried up some ground beef. She ate-some of it. But at least she was eating a little. She also was drinking a tremendous amount of water.
Let me add the vets ran numerous tests. All came back normal except her liver function.
I should have previously added that my wife is blind and had an extremely close bond with Tora. They had a commonality.

Today was the worst day Tora ever had. No sleep. Wouldn’t eat. Wouldn’t stop pacing. She did drink water but refused to go outside.
We are devastated. My wife told me she couldn’t make the call. I called the vet and between sobs, asked them to scheduled our dear girls euthanasia tomorrow evening when there wouldn’t be any other patrons around. She’s suffered enough.

Tomorrow morning I’ll call and ask if I can pay for the euthanasia and cremation prior to the appointment. We’re not going to want to hang around swiping a card, signing a receipt and wishing everyone a Merry Christmas.

I suspect most, if not everyone of you has been through this. So we all have this in common.
Please don’t respond to this post. I just don’t think I’d be able to respond.
Thank you for letting me vent.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Very sad to hear about your Tora, she looks like a very sweet dog. I'm sorry it has come to this, but I know this decision must have been very difficult for you and your wife. Thinking of you during this trying time.

hattrick58

Original Poster
Very sad to hear about your Tora, she looks like a very sweet dog. I'm sorry it has come to this, but I know this decision must have been very difficult for you and your wife. Thinking of you during this trying time.
Thank you. She is now at peace and no longer in any pain. I was surprised that I didn’t cry. I knew my wife would so I stuck close to her and Tora.
As we were waiting for the vet to fill out the insurance paperwork, I tried lightening the mood and said “My wife won’t cry this much at my funeral.” The look of horror I received from the techs immediately made me regret saying that.
See you on the other Tora. And Hoots. And Bear. And Baxter. And Amber.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Sorry for your loss, regards to your wife.

linda2147

Sorry you lost your girl, she was letting you know she was ready to go. They don't want to leave us but they know when its time. You did the right thing by her and she will always live in your heart and memory.