Paris Accord Withdrawal Result

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
I disagree with the dramatic, sensational and misleading title of this thread. That bear video was circulated a long time ago to 'sell' the public on global warming dangers. It appears that those who were video taping this bear, and claiming his condition was due to global warming were liars, and terribly inhumane not to get this bear the medical attention he really needed, even if it was euthanasia....better than suffering for the camera.

When I first viewed this video, I was greatly saddened, now it makes me angry knowing how they used this bear to promote their agenda.

Climate change, air and water pollution is definitely a problem for man, animals and plants, but this type of advertisement is corrupt, IMO. State the facts without the guilt and scare tactics, might work better to move forward and address the issues at hand.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42322346

Mr Nicklen and Ms Mittermeier are co-founders of the conservation group Sea Legacy, with a declared mission to "use the power of storytelling to create the change we want to see".

Canada's National Post newspaper argues: "These images aren't the work of a scientist, an impartial documentarian or even a concerned bystander. They are part of a very calculated public relations exercise."

This particular animal could also simply have been sick. Biologist Jeff Higdon, writing on Twitter, speculated that it could have some form of aggressive cancer.
"It's not starving because the ice suddenly disappeared and it could no longer hunt seals," he said. "The east Baffin coast is ice free in summer. It's far more likely that it is starving due to health issues." However, he warned that he could not be sure.

"I wasn't totally surprised," he told the broadcaster. "These things happen. Everybody probably was shocked to see a really skinny bear, but this is not my first time seeing something like this."
He also speculated that the bear was either ill or suffering from an injury that prevented it from hunting.
https://polarbearscience.com/2018/07/26/the-truth-behind-the-baffin-bay-starving-polar-bear-video-is-worse-than-we-thought/

[Remember that video of an emaciated Baffin Island Somerset Island polar bear that went viral last December?[SUP]1[/SUP] In an unexpected follow-up (“Starving-Polar-Bear Photographer Recalls What Went Wrong“; National Geographic, August 2018 issue), photographer Cristina Mittermeier makes some astonishing admissions that might just make you sick.

It turns out they didn’t just come across the dying bear the day it was filmed: it was spotted at least two days earlier by Paul Nicklen. He must have had a satellite phone with him when he saw the bear but the only call he made was to his film crew — he made no attempt to find a local conservation officer to euthanize the bear, which would have been the right thing to do.

ADDED July 27 2018: Calling a conservation officer to euthanize the bear would have been the right thing to do not only out of compassion (and to know the cause of illness, because a necropsy would have been done), but because a starving bear is especially dangerous: it would have been a potential danger to any unsuspecting person who set foot on the island (he was strong enough to swim away, so was probably strong enough to kill a child, if not an adult).

The bear’s emaciated, near-death stagger[SUP]2[/SUP] was simply too tantalizing to pass up (video needs action: an emaciated dead bear would not been nearly as effective). Mittermeier claims they knew when they filmed the bear that he was sick or injured, but Nicklon presented it as an effect of climate change regardless.

Mittermeier now says National Geographic simply “went too far” with their video caption (“This is what climate change looks like“), that she and Nicklan “lost control of the narrative.”

Dog Force One

Original Poster
Well, this bear or all the others. It becomes a technicality. You gotta have the REAL dying bear FRESH RIGHT NOW to be moved?

That's a bit prissy and lacking in imagination, isn't it? Come on.

And last I checked, the "agenda" was literally the survival of the planet.

"That's not a real dying bear!" she protested, as the world rolled over the precipice and plunged.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
When it's promoted that deceptive way, it's to promote their agenda. As I said, global warming, air and water pollution are a real danger to the planet and all its inhabitants.

Showing that bear and misrepresenting his location or cause of his poor condition is people using their imaginations, to manipulate the public. So, they didn't lack in imagination. Imagine if cause and effect can be reported in a factual way without smoke and mirrors, would be much better to serve the cause in my opinion.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Ohkaay DF, we wouldn't want to get prissy here, now would we? You're absolutely correct, that emaciated bear was the direct result of withdrawal from the Paris Accord and climate change, there is absolutely no other reason the bear would be so sickly, and there was no deception whatsoever in the video being published. :eek:k:

Dog Force One

Original Poster
Not the point, and not what I said. The point is that stupid, evil actions have real consequences, even if some people will work hard not to see them until we are all wiped out.

And newsflash: There are these newfangled things called metaphors.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Was just voicing my feelings and opinions on that video Dog Force, not looking to bicker, I'll pass on by next time you post something I disagree with, have a good evening. :)