Patches the Toothless Wonder Cat

vincentvangoad

Back in 2011 I was given a cat by my sister in law who she found injured near her house. She took him to the vet an got him all “patched” up, but it wasn’t until a couple years later when it was discovered he was FIV+. He had been having issues with his teeth and when I took him to the vet they tested him and thats how I found out. So I was given the option to either have him put to sleep or have his teeth removed and he’d probably live another 5 years. I went for the teeth option (duh) and he ended up living another 7 years after his diagnosis. Anyway he was a cool, chill cat and mostly spent his day sleeping and eating…I’m a freelance illustrator so I’m at home a lot and he would sit and watch me draw / paint. Miss him a lot.

167F1174-FBBC-4D42-8244-546138D56D17.jpeg
D26B77D0-CB7E-46C0-9E62-0DEA5062EFE7.jpeg
FFD77A54-9437-47AE-8441-7AC910E8593E.jpeg
3884ED47-059A-4D95-9710-7F3208A07328.jpeg

TTouch

Hi and welcome

One of my first cats was a ginger and white, very simular to your patches...he also had a 'lucky ' escape , he was a cat who belonged to an elderly neighbour but he would visit everyone else to get fed and I was one of the people he visited... then he started to come daily and stay longer and someone told me the elderly person ( who owned him) had gone into hospital so I made sure when I saw him I fed him...one day someone knocked on my door, it was the animal warden looking for the cat, telling me the owner had died and knew he visited people to get fed, (he was fast asleep on my bed) however thankfully I asked her if she was collecting him for the owners family, she said " no, he is classified as a stray and will be taken to the shelter but likely to be PTS as even being owned he is 5-6 yrs old and used to straying"...so I quickly asked for her card ( not admitting I knew where he was) I was certainly not giving him to her to be PTS.
As I was moving 3 weeks later I decided he was now my cat, found it hard to keep him in for those 3 wks but did, I moved and he resumed his visiting ways in our new home but he was saved from being PTS. He died of old age I had him for 17 yrs and if he was 5 or 6 when I got him, so that is some age for a cat.

TTouch

He could not have been five or six years old then.
As his previous owner had lived there for around 5 years and I found out later she arrived with him so yes he was 5-6 yrs old...... I have owned 3 cats who lived into their early 20s