PETA urges University of Georgia to retire real bulldog mascot

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
I agree with them. Any animal that is paraded around in a large noisy group of screaming people has to be stressed. If the animal needs to be shipped from state to state, that's just more added stress to the poor animal. The owners may take very good care of the dog at home, but doesn't make up for what they go through in large noisy crowds and traveling around the country. Whether it's a buffalo or dog, I'm against it, I do believe those animals are miserable at those games.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Original Poster
It is a cute idea, but bulldogs don't belong outside four hours on hot days. Uga is lucky if he never has any breathing problems during games.

He lives in Savannah and rides in a plastic dog carrier four hours each way. You would think they only allowed people in Athens to have an Uga.

Last edited:

mechi2

PETA's mission in life is to free all animals from the "slavery" of being pets.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Original Poster
I know. Even though it is dangerous for a bulldog to be in a hot statidum four hours PETA is crazy to think he can't be happy in an air-conditioned, medium size doghouse. The organization may have had a valid piont after the Sugar Bowl incident, but that never happened at Tennessee, whose mascpt os a dpg becaise theikr name is Volunteers. Unless I am really compelled to agree with PETA on anything I take their words with grains of salt.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Original Poster
When a TV channel replayed highlights of Georgia's game at Georgia Tech, the first thing they showed was someone petting a happy bulldog on a sideline. There is no way you can look at that and tell me Uga is a scared dog. He seemed to be smiling.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Original Poster
Most dogs love attention. They are pack animals.

Seeing how happy a certain bulldog was on Georgia's sideline convinced me it is NOT animal cruelty to make him a school's mascot.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Original Poster
I saw Uga surrounded by people today. Again, no issues. He just sat there looking at the camera.

PETA is making this up. When the only on-field incident is being chased by a longhorn, there is nothing to worry about except Texas.