pooping problems- please help

ruthylynn14

I have a 2 year old pitbull. On may 12 he had multiple episodes of diarrhea with blood in it and it was clearly painful for him to go. We took him to the emergency clinic- they did a rectal exam and stool sample, both negative. She put him on metronidazole and amoxicillin and pain medication. There was improvement and he no longer had bloody diarrhea however, every time he would defecate he would become frantic and it was clearly still painful for him. We went to our vet who did another stool sample, rectal exam and ultrasound- all negative. So they put him on cipro, He is currently on a hypoallergenic diet. He is eating and drinking normally. No vomiting during any of this, no bloating. However, it seems to still be painful. they said we could get a colonoscopy to get samples of the GI tract. However, I don't feel it is a GI tract problem but more of an anus problem. (the vet said he does not have anal gland problems or fistulas). Has anyone else's dog had similar symptoms? or any suggestions? Thank you

linda2147

I would suggest giving him two metamucil cookies a day, this will add fiber and make the stool softer and easier to pass. Also raise his tail and look under it, if its raw and red looking its anal fissures which is a very painful condition, the control for that is predazone and washing under his tail with peroxide every time he has a bowel movement

ruthylynn14

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply- I do not want to add metamucil cookies as his stool is already on the softer side due to all the antibiotics he has been on. And there are no anal fissures. When this first started happening over a month ago it was red and looked irritated so we have been washing after bowel movements. However, it no longer looks red but still seems to be bothering him when he goes.

linda2147

are you giving him a probiotic? The anti biotics are killing the good bacteria in his intestines which he needs, the probiotic will put it back. 80% of a dog's health originates in the gut. He should be getting a probiotic daily even if he isn't on antibiotics. When my dogs turn three months old I start them on a probiotic daily, a fish oil pill daily, a vitamin e pill daily and two glucosamine pills daily. My nephew has a pittie and he has his on the same regiment of supplements and has had no medical issues with him either

Tabitha

I have a 2 year old pitbull. On may 12 he had multiple episodes of diarrhea with blood in it and it was clearly painful for him to go. We took him to the emergency clinic- they did a rectal exam and stool sample, both negative. She put him on metronidazole and amoxicillin and pain medication. There was improvement and he no longer had bloody diarrhea however, every time he would defecate he would become frantic and it was clearly still painful for him. We went to our vet who did another stool sample, rectal exam and ultrasound- all negative. So they put him on cipro, He is currently on a hypoallergenic diet. He is eating and drinking normally. No vomiting during any of this, no bloating. However, it seems to still be painful. they said we could get a colonoscopy to get samples of the GI tract. However, I don't feel it is a GI tract problem but more of an anus problem. (the vet said he does not have anal gland problems or fistulas). Has anyone else's dog had similar symptoms? or any suggestions? Thank you
So sorry about your dog. Diet is usually a huge issue. Many “hypoallergenic” diets contain too many carbohydrates such as legumes that are hard to eat and painful to digest. You might want to consider a raw frozen diet such as Stella and Chewys or Primal. You might want to consider Colostrum https://www.askariel.com/product-p/117.htm along with a probiotic. This company helped my friend’s dog who had terrible diarrhea and nothing was helping. Hope your pup feels better.