Puppy Teething

Jessid1227

My 3 month old puppy is going to be getting his adult teeth too and I'm quite nervous about it. He already chews and bites quite a bit. I've tried freezing his tug-o-war rope and he has plenty of chew toys (although still prefers my shoes) Do you guys have any suggestions? Am I going to be finding his teeth around the house? Thanks for the insight!

towanda

When I had a puppy, I found that having rawhides all over helped, but even then, my wooden furniture got chewed on. I put padding around all of the exposed furniture wood, and had various chew toys, and especially raw hides all over. I did find a couple of teeth, but it didn't happen that often. I would see a bit of blood on the rawhides sometimes though. You pretty much have to puppy-proof your home, no matter how many chew toys are available. Freezing the tug-o-war is a good idea, as cold things seem to sooth the pain when their teeth are coming in.

Attachments

kitten

Ice cubes will keep your puppy happy during this phase. You will want to have plenty of toys available for your puppy to play with. Then the hard part make sure if your puppy is not caged or crated that it is well supervised otherwise you will lose some nice furniture.

It is also super important to teach your puppy bite inhibition. By the age of 4 and a half months old your puppy will learn how to fully bite and this can become quite painful and possibly dangerous later on. This will let your little one know when they are biting to hard and when to stop. Good Luck!

EmmaJay

We used ice chips too when Eggy was having teeth issues. It was a very useful tip that we got from our vet and I have passed it on several times.

Attachments

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
My 3 month old puppy is going to be getting his adult teeth too and I'm quite nervous about it. He already chews and bites quite a bit. I've tried freezing his tug-o-war rope and he has plenty of chew toys (although still prefers my shoes) Do you guys have any suggestions? Am I going to be finding his teeth around the house? Thanks for the insight!
You may find a tooth around the house, but I never noticed much of that. What always worked great for me, is having a small rawhide knuckle bone in my pocket, my husband had one handy also. As soon as you catch him chewing on something 'off-limits', trade it off for the bone. When he tires of the bone and leaves it lying around on the floor, pick it up and pocket it again. Repeat until training is complete. They need stuff to chew on. The rolled rawhides are a favorite, but you have to monitor the chewing and eating for safety. When the rolls get small, it's best to throw them out.

puppykawaii

If you find your puppy chewing on things that he shouldn't be chewing on, you should try spraying it with sour apple spray. You can find it at most pet stores. It worked with my dog. He used to chew on my power cords. (yikes) I sprayed them with the sour apple stuff, he tried it once more, went yuck, and never tried it again. It's worked for all my friends that I've recommended it to too. Even one skeptical friend who said "but what if my dog like sour apples?" Well, it sure didn't like the sour apple spray.

ilovedogs

Ice cubes are absolutely amazing for teething puppies, the ice soothes the puppy's gums. Make sure your puppy has LOTS of chews and try smearing a little bit of peanut butter on a chew to encourage your puppy to chew his toys rather than the furniture. I think you might be able to buy a spray for furniture to stop puppies chewing as well.