Purina Cat Chow

skarlett88

I've been under the impression for some time that Purina is the most nutritious cat food of the inexpensive varieties available on the market. After reading a few posts on this forum, I've come to question my assumption. I wonder if I've come prey to mere marketing, and if anyone has any thoughts on the matter. I want to give my cat the best, but I don't want it to cost a lot. Am I right or wrong to be feeding him Purina Cat Chow? What should I be looking for in choosing the right food for Arthur? He seems healthy enough now, but I realize I should consider the long term effects. He is young, only four years old, so if a change needs to be made, I think it would still be appropriate to implement one now.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Undesireable Ingredients

I used brands like that when I was young and didn't know any better. The ingredient listing tells all, here's an ingredient list I got online. Ingredients in red should be checked out in the dog food ingredient link provided.

Purina Cat Chow
Ingredients

Poultry by-product meal, ground yellow corn, wheat flour, corn gluten meal, soybean meal, brewers rice, beef tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols (source of vitamin E), fish meal, brewers dried yeast, ANIMAL DIGEST, phosphoric acid, potassium chloride, calcium carbonate, tetra sodium pyrophosphate, calcium chloride, choline chloride, dicalcium phosphate, salt, taurine, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, vitamin supplements (E, A, B-12, D-3), L-Alanine, riboflavin supplement, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, biotin, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, pyridoxine hydrochloride, copper sulfate, citric acid, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), calcium iodate.

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=badingredients