Putting my dog down in the morning.

dogsmakemehappy

She's old and is having a lot of house accidents with both urinating and pooing. It's like she doesn't know what she is doing? Anyway, it's upsetting and going to be hard to lose her. I'm going to need support.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
I'm sorry to hear that. How old is she, is she on any medications that may be causing the accidents? I hope you've explored all possible alternatives before euthanizing her. Welcome.

dogsmakemehappy

Original Poster
She's near 16 and it's ongoing for the last year. Yes, gave her all I could do for her. She's not on any medications.

linda2147

you both know when its time to let her go. Very hard thing to do but we've always knows its unlikely we'd outlive out pets. Hard as its going to be for you you must stay with her and be there for he just like you've always been. You don't want her to die just surrounded by strangers, This is the last thing you can do for her. Try not to show how upset you are to her, it will make her upset. Once its done then you can cry and grieve all you want but try to stay strong for her.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
She's near 16 and it's ongoing for the last year. Yes, gave her all I could do for her. She's not on any medications.
@dogsmakemehappy She is older and it does seem you've done all you can. My heart goes out to you, I've made that last visit to the vet too often than I care to remember over the years, I stay to hold them and give a last goodbye kiss. You will be hurting, but it's the right thing to do.....hugs.

dogsmakemehappy

Original Poster
It's done, and I was doing all right, till they gave her a sedating shot before the euthanizing, and she was okay, and I was stroking her forehead and talking to her and she starting to whimper. Well, that done me in, the vet said maybe she felt discomfort, but what discomfort? I told my husband what if she knew she was being put down and didn't want to go? I know I shouldn't be second guessing myself, but I am?

linda2147

I know we all second guess ourselves and torture ourselves " did we do the right thing"? But in your heart you know you did what was best for her. She could sense your feelings and that made her anxious. Once the sedative was given to her she didn't feel anything. She was picking up on your feelings. Don't beat yourself up over it. You did what you had to do. She is in a better place now waiting for you to cross the bridge and someday join her someday. Grieve for her but remember all the good times you had with her and don't let the last memories you have of her define the love and companionship you had with her all these years. Peace to you. Its going to be hard for a while but she will always live on in your heart.

dogsmakemehappy

Original Poster
Thank you, yes, it was very hard but I had to be there for her. As long as she wasn't whimpering for me to save her at last moment?

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
I told my husband what if she knew she was being put down and didn't want to go? I know I shouldn't be second guessing myself, but I am?
Please don't second guess anything, she didn't know she was being put down. As Linda suggested, she may have just felt a little anxious when she received the sedation injection. I'm very sorry for your loss, I feel your pain and was in your shoes just a few years ago, it's sad, but you did the right thing.

You gave her love and a good home, you cared for her and always did your best. She was blessed to have you, and you her. Hold her memory close to your heart, allow yourself to grieve and always look back on the memories you shared with her. May she rest peacefully now and without pain. My condolences to you and your husband. 💙

laloca

My condolences to you in this difficult time, but you did what was right and though it was a hard decision to make, it is done now and she has moved on. I know you'll miss her and remember her.

Boxer love

She's old and is having a lot of house accidents with both urinating and pooing. It's like she doesn't know what she is doing? Anyway, it's upsetting and going to be hard to lose her. I'm going to need support.
Iam so sorry for your loss I too had to recently go through the same situation , I feel so empty and broken now😔

Boxer love

It's done, and I was doing all right, till they gave her a sedating shot before the euthanizing, and she was okay, and I was stroking her forehead and talking to her and she starting to whimper. Well, that done me in, the vet said maybe she felt discomfort, but what discomfort? I told my husband what if she knew she was being put down and didn't want to go? I know I shouldn't be second guessing myself, but I am?
First of all I'd like to say iam so sorry for your loss,I too just had to let my 12 year old boxer go,iam beyond myself,second guessing every part of the situation ,I cant seem to get past it all ,it has been almost a month everything in my house reminds me of him,I want him back and it's so hard.....

ILovepetBlaire

letting go is the hardest thing to do but one thing is for sure...they are gone from our sight, but never from our hearts!

MarcoPolo

I'm very sorry to hear that. It's coming for all of us dog owners at some point. You just need to realize you gave her a wonderful life.