PWD Likely False Pregnancy - Hoping for Advice

dandelion5

Hi there,

I am hoping for advice for our current situation.
Our nearly 2 year old dog, Dandelion had a heat in early July (July 1-12th ish). During this time, she was exposed to a male intact dog. They did not mate, to our knowledge but in the very least we are sure that they did not lock/tie. There is a major size difference between the two dogs; our girl is a Portugese Water Dog (around 50 lbs) and the male is a Morkie (like 20 lbs). Given the size difference, mating would obviously be incredibly difficult.

Before anyone feels the need to lecture me about spaying - trust me - WE KNOW. First off, we do not enjoy the mess off the heat periods, it has been driving my husband mad. The trouble is - here in Ontario, the pandemic closure have been insane. Our girl's surgery was rescheduled three times and her next date is October. Fingers crossed all goes as planned. Secondly, we realize that having the two dogs together was not a wise choice, but we live on a rural, shared property with no fencing and we felt that our supervision to ensure they weren't mating was suffice. There were times where she would lay down as if willing to let him try and we would intervene. Unfortunately, our preteens let us know later on that the dogs did in fact spend more time together while we weren't around and believe me - we talked to them about this. I think the pandemic boredom made them think it would be a fun idea. I know. But regardless there was still no tie and our farm kids (super exposed to animals reproducing) were certain that there was never a successful mating and definitely no lock/tie. Ironically, the boy's fixing procedure was on July 13th so at least this wont be a concern moving forward.

Anyway, Dandelion began exhibiting some serious false pregnancy symptoms, which she has had after every heat. We expected this was what was going on and have carried on, of course keeping that incredibly tiny chance that babies could be a thing in mind. Just in case. She had a period of extreme chill and quiet for about the first couple of weeks of august. (could be in line with hormones from the false pregnancy?)

So now she is approaching what would be her pseudo due date. For the past week she has been panting and heavy breathing lots. Lots and lots of nesting. SO incredibly sucky to me (mom/woman of the house). Her teets have gotten bigger over the weeks. HOWEVER there is NO belly growth. This reassured us that it was just a false pregnancy and she is going through the motions.

Of course I realize she needed to be looked at, so I took her to the vet on this past Thursday to be sure that all was well. She gave Dandelion a feel and a lookover and said she does not suspect pregnancy and that we should be safe. However, Dandelion has had clear/white discharge for a few weeks and the vet said this isn't common with a false pregnancy. So, confused, I asked if she could look into that more so she took a swab and said that the cells look normal so it cannot be an infection... ....? The vet suggested she just has separation anxiety, and didn't seem to understand that this behaviour for Dandelion is new and unusual. She has never been an anxious or bothersome dog.

The past few days Dandelion has calmed down a bit from the major panting or at least has been panting a bit less less. She still pants and whines occasionally. Her belly has not grown. But she is still so needy and still has discharge and full teets. She is still nesting around the house and another thing she keeps doing is humping me.I I know humping is generally dominance but she isn't a very dominant dog so I was wondering if she was doing it for relief of pain? I'm not sure about that I haven't found much information about it.

I guess I am hoping to hear from anyone who may have had similar situations. A very low chance of pregnancy but still I guess possible -but I think this far in, we can rule that out? Her belly is still thin and goes in. My daughter thinks her ribs seem larger but I can't be sure. Plus, I assume the vet would have felt something if there was something in there. I also feel that she would be for sure bigger IF pregnancy was a thing since she would be due in and around today. The only concern regarding pregnancy that I am holding is the size difference and if she was somehow hiding pups or a pup and we didn't know.

Does anyone have experience with discharge during a false pregnancy?
humping during a false pregnancy?
Does anyone know what I can do to help her feel more calm and comfortable?

I know the vet is the answer but we saw her already and she didn't have many answers. Help is so appreciated and again, I realize having a female around a male is irresponsible. The pandemic has made things very difficult and we felt us adults had things under control. The children have learned a lesson and we will keep talking about this moving forward.

Thank you.

linda2147

if you think its a false pregnancy be prepared for her to make milk and maybe even go into labor. If that happens gives her a couple balled up socks, she will think they are her puppies and be satisfied. Does her stomach feel hard? that is a sign of pups but that is usually felt within a few weeks of mating. the only way to know for sure is to have an ultrasound. then they can see any pups if there are any. Don't worry about the size of the pups, a pup is a pup and usually only as big as the mother's ear. if you know the day she went into heat and when the two dogs ggot together there are only a few days she could get pregnant, the 11th 12th and 13th day from when she sstarted her heat or when the red discharge turns clear.

Reactions: LPC

dandelion5

Original Poster
if you think its a false pregnancy be prepared for her to make milk and maybe even go into labor. If that happens gives her a couple balled up socks, she will think they are her puppies and be satisfied. Does her stomach feel hard? that is a sign of pups but that is usually felt within a few weeks of mating. the only way to know for sure is to have an ultrasound. then they can see any pups if there are any. Don't worry about the size of the pups, a pup is a pup and usually only as big as the mother's ear. if you know the day she went into heat and when the two dogs ggot together there are only a few days she could get pregnant, the 11th 12th and 13th day from when she sstarted her heat or when the red discharge turns clear.
ok thank you, that is very helpful! I really don't think she is pregnant at this point but I'm still trying to remind myself that it is something to look out for since you never know. I wish I had pushed for an xray just to take THAT part of the guessing out.
I was wondering - as a false pregnancy, if she would progress as if whelping was going to happen (false labour) and then perhaps have some relief.. if so perhaps that time window is finally here because the poor girl is so out of sorts. I just want her to be comfortable again.
her stomach is hard, I suppose.. but she is a very trim dog, I feel like she has always felt that way. her teets are quite full and make her belly look bigger but all in all her belly has not grown.

dandelion5

Original Poster
and thank you for the response and advice.

linda2147

ok thank you, that is very helpful! I really don't think she is pregnant at this point but I'm still trying to remind myself that it is something to look out for since you never know. I wish I had pushed for an xray just to take THAT part of the guessing out.
I was wondering - as a false pregnancy, if she would progress as if whelping was going to happen (false labour) and then perhaps have some relief.. if so perhaps that time window is finally here because the poor girl is so out of sorts. I just want her to be comfortable again.
her stomach is hard, I suppose.. but she is a very trim dog, I feel like she has always felt that way. her teets are quite full and make her belly look bigger but all in all her belly has not grown.
she could go into labor but of course she will just pass air. When her labor is over give her a couple of balled up socks and let her "mother" them. It will make her happy and she may even carry them around for a while. let her have them, in time she'll get over rub the socks all over her to get her scent on them she'll be more likely to think they are her puppies

LPC

Excellent advice from Linda above. If you want to remove any doubt, then as Linda said, an ultrasound will quickly give you an answer. That way, you will know for sure. Better than wondering - although I appreciate that it could be expensive in the USA.

dandelion5

Original Poster
Excellent advice from Linda above. If you want to remove any doubt, then as Linda said, an ultrasound will quickly give you an answer. That way, you will know for sure. Better than wondering - although I appreciate that it could be expensive in the USA.
We are in Canada - but still very expensive! lol. just the check-in we went for and the swab for her vaginal discharge to look under the microscope (WITH a discount as I was referred by a friend) was $115. I figured since the vet didn't think she was pregnant that she is likely right.... but now I am stressing over the symptoms as the vet seemed very unsure as to why she was so out of sorts. the vet also said that discharge "isn't normal".. but didn't offer any suggestions as to why it could be happening. I trust that the vet knows what she is doing, but full disclosure, my mom lost a dog to pyometra so I suppose I am overthinking/worrying. I just wish we had more answers. I fear missing something and things getting worse. Cannot wait for her to be spayed so we can skip this hormone mess! lol

linda2147

doesn't sound like that vet is to competent. She should have checked the discharge to find out exactly whats going on with the dog. Time to find a different vet and by the way you should wait until three months or so to have her spayed. a competent bvet will tell you to wait until the halfway point between heat cycles.

dandelion5

Original Poster
doesn't sound like that vet is to competent. She should have checked the discharge to find out exactly whats going on with the dog. Time to find a different vet and by the way you should wait until three months or so to have her spayed. a competent bvet will tell you to wait until the halfway point between heat cycles.
wow, I had never heard that before. what is the reasoning?

we went to a new vet that our friend recommended because we had worked out a trade for a deal - and I wasn't sure if I was just being paranoid and didn't want to waste money. But in the end, it ended up costing a bunch anyway. I have called our vet about this and she also made it seem like I was being paranoid. I guess I should trust my gut. I will call our vet and get her in. would be nice to rule out any of the possibilities so that even if it is just wild hormones - at least we know. Thank you for your response, honesty and clarity. I really appreciate it.

dandelion5

Original Poster
Does anyone have experience with false pregnancies, and if so, do you have experience with discharge as a symptom of it? I truly cannot find much about this online.

linda2147

any discharge is not good, it needs to be checked out. I have never had a dog personally that had a false pregnancy but I know people that have. I am not a fan of early spay, regardless of what the vet tells you it doesn't do them any good in the long run. those hormones are there for a reason, let them do their job. I never do my females until after the second heat or around 18 months old. and I don't do my males at all unless there is a medical reason. In intact male is healthier than a neutered one. And don't tlet them give you that bull about each heat ups the risk on cancer, its only a 1 percent difference. Early spay and neuter weakens the joints and most dogs that blow a knee were spayed or neutered younger than 2 years old. when you do it young the growth plates haven't fully closed which weakens the joints and their legs grow longer and so does the nose. all you have to do is look at the dog see its body confirmation isn't what it should be.

dandelion5

Original Poster
any discharge is not good, it needs to be checked out. I have never had a dog personally that had a false pregnancy but I know people that have. I am not a fan of early spay, regardless of what the vet tells you it doesn't do them any good in the long run. those hormones are there for a reason, let them do their job. I never do my females until after the second heat or around 18 months old. and I don't do my males at all unless there is a medical reason. In intact male is healthier than a neutered one. And don't tlet them give you that bull about each heat ups the risk on cancer, its only a 1 percent difference. Early spay and neuter weakens the joints and most dogs that blow a knee were spayed or neutered younger than 2 years old. when you do it young the growth plates haven't fully closed which weakens the joints and their legs grow longer and so does the nose. all you have to do is look at the dog see its body confirmation isn't what it should be.
wow that is super interesting. I met a friend's new partner recently who is a very passionate dog owner.. he was explaining to me his reasons for not fixing his female dog and it was honestly the first time EVER that I had heard that perspective. my mom did not fix her dogs years and years ago because she felt similarly but more so my instinct than education. her matriarch border collie ended up taken down by pyro BUT she was fifteen years old when she did.

I have not been super eager about the spay (until fearing an infection as of late lol) but you've given me a new perspective and I plan to research this more before we make the call here! Dandelion is my first dog in adulthood and our family just adores her and we for sure want the best for her and her health!

She is still out of sorts and has discharge so I am making her an appointment this afternoon with our regular vet and I really hope she takes us seriously.

linda2147

glad I could help you, some of us here are really experienced animal owners and always willing to help someone with a problem