Rabies exposure?????

Rahul

Simba had got his rabies vaccine 6 months ago and 3 days ago he ate a bone off the street which was quiet small and he also licked saliava off the ground from a dog that comes around our house what should i do?

Rahul

Original Poster
Simba had got his rabies vaccine 6 months ago and 3 days ago he ate a bone off the street which was quiet small and he also licked saliava off the ground from a dog that comes around our house what should i do?
I am suspecious about the bone become there are many stray animals around our house that roam around and i am worried that they may have came in contact with the bone.

Rahul

Original Poster
I don't think you need to worry
Yes i also called the vet they said that the saliava may have dried off the bone if there was a contact so there is no worries

TTouch

Unlikely exposure however it gives you an opportunity to spend some time training your dog not to pick up/eat anything from the floor/pavement, that way you don't need to worry in the future.

None of my dogs will pick up/eat anything 'found' and even if they are offered 'treats' by me or anyone else they won't take them until told to do so and I learned the lesson a long time ago when I owned a GSD who on a visit to the seaside there was lots of 'dropped' items on the ground she wanted to eat and as we walked I watched in horror as she literally took an ice cream from the hand of a young child who was waving it around...so after apologising and buying a new ice cream I was determined it would never happen again. The ice cream was 'safe' for her to eat ( eg it wouldn't poison her) however you don't know what they pick up is safe or not so it is not worth the risk when you can ensure your dog is safe by doing a little training.

Rahul

Original Poster
Unlikely exposure however it gives you an opportunity to spend some time training your dog not to pick up/eat anything from the floor/pavement, that way you don't need to worry in the future.

None of my dogs will pick up/eat anything 'found' and even if they are offered 'treats' by me or anyone else they won't take them until told to do so and I learned the lesson a long time ago when I owned a GSD who on a visit to the seaside there was lots of 'dropped' items on the ground she wanted to eat and as we walked I watched in horror as she literally took an ice cream from the hand of a young child who was waving it around...so after apologising and buying a new ice cream I was determined it would never happen again. The ice cream was 'safe' for her to eat ( eg it wouldn't poison her) however you don't know what they pick up is safe or not so it is not worth the risk when you can ensure your dog is safe by doing a little training.
How should i teach him tho will leave it help please give tips how did you train your dog

TTouch

There are lots of ways to train your dog to leave.... you can start with control when feeding, so dog on a lead, ask him to sit, put his food down and command 'leave it' using the lead to stop the dog, you are aiming for the dog to continue sitting/waiting, some dogs will look at you/give you eye contact( shows they are listening to your commands)... then use a release command like ' OK' within a week of being constistant your dog should be able to sit/wait/leave it without using a lead.
Also another is treating the 'leave it' command ...something like a treat in hand ( held tighly in fingers or inside a closed hand ) , and a strong tone 'leave it' command, again you are looking for the dog to give you eye contact or at least be calm and not fighting you for the treat and/or dog on lead throw a toy, gentle tug on lead and 'leave it' command, wait a couple of seconds release lead, give 'OK' command.
Having the dog on lead ensures the dog can't fail or make a mistake so learning 'leave it' and 'OK' ( or other release command) is quick and both commands are VERY useful for everything else as 'leave it' means leave everything, be it another dog, cat, person, food, toy and also having a good release command is too...many dogs when let off lead just assume when they hear the clip release they run, but if you teach a release command they stay until you release them with the command word.

Rahul

Original Poster
Thank you