Rainbow has passed....

cluckmecoop7

I got a puppy!
He lived for about 3 years. Rest In Peace dear Rainbow boy. Swim free on the other side!
DSCN6569.jpg
(Died of Dropsy)

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
Aw, sorry to hear about Rainbow. Did you check the water perimeters? Usually when I fish passes, there is a cause. He was borderline old age, but you might want to check just in case.

Meanwhile, you could do a waterchange and throw an almond leaf in there just to make sure things are going smoothly. If there was something up with the tank, then you’ll want to make sure your other betta is okay (they are in a split tank, right?).

Often, after a fish dies, it makes an ammonia spike if you don’t get the dead fish out of the tank within a couple hours.

Last edited:

cluckmecoop7

I got a puppy!
Original Poster
Aw, sorry to hear about Rainbow. Did you check the water perimeters? Usually when I fish passes, there is a cause. He was borderline old age, but you might want to check just in case.

Meanwhile, you could do a waterchange and throw an almond leaf in there just to make sure things are going smoothly. If there was something up with the tank, then you’ll want to make sure your other betta is okay (they are in a split tank, right?).

Often, after a fish dies, it makes an ammonia spike if you don’t get the dead fish out of the tank within a couple hours.
Thank you. ❤ Actually, I'm pretty sure he died of old age and Dropsy. Oh, and no, I gave them each their own tank around Christmas time. I thought having a divider gave them too small of space to swim.

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
Thank you. ❤ Actually, I'm pretty sure he died of old age and Dropsy. Oh, and no, I gave them each their own tank around Christmas time. I thought having a divider gave them too small of space to swim.
Okay. Their own tanks is good. Bettas like their space:)

Wait... dropsy? That’s impaired kidney function or kidney failure caused my parasites or bacteria, which can mean either somehow parasites got in the tank, or bad water quality. Dropsy is most common in new fish because of parasites, but it can also happen when from bacteria if the water quality is poor.

There is also chance he could have had kidney failure from old age, but 3 years seems a little on the young side for his kidneys failing. How old was he when you bought him? He could be a lot older then you think if you bought him as an adult. Some adults bettas at the store are 6 months to a year old. I bought Rosencross as a baby, so I can gauge his age accurately, but it is a lot more difficult with adult bettas.

Well, I hope your other betta does okay. Losing fishy friends can be tuff.

cluckmecoop7

I got a puppy!
Original Poster
Okay. Their own tanks is good. Bettas like their space:)

Wait... dropsy? That’s impaired kidney function or kidney failure caused my parasites or bacteria, which can mean either somehow parasites got in the tank, or bad water quality. Dropsy is most common in new fish because of parasites, but it can also happen when from bacteria if the water quality is poor.

There is also chance he could have had kidney failure from old age, but 3 years seems a little on the young side for his kidneys failing. How old was he when you bought him? He could be a lot older then you think if you bought him as an adult. Some adults bettas at the store are 6 months to a year old. I bought Rosencross as a baby, so I can gauge his age accurately, but it is a lot more difficult with adult bettas.

Well, I hope your other betta does okay. Losing fishy friends can be tuff.
I got him from a pet shop, so I have no idea how old he was. He was in one of those little cups. He looked the same as when I got him from the pet shop all his life, except when he got older his color faded.

Thank you again.

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
I got him from a pet shop, so I have no idea how old he was. He was in one of those little cups. He looked the same as when I got him from the pet shop all his life, except when he got older his color faded.

Thank you again.
Okay, well, still sad.

Do you plan on more fish? Or are you just going to keep the one you have?