Roundworms again!

Esme

Well I found some vomit with roundworms in it today and I really can't believe this is happening again. The kittens were last treated at the end of September. Last flea treatment was in Oct. so I'm wondering if one of them ingested a flea to cause this. But it's December so I can't understand this problem. I'm calling the vet's office tomorrow but just wondering....has anyone ever had animals who kept getting worms?

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Sorry to hear that Esme, I've never had a recurring worm problem in my dogs or cats, usually the standard puppy and kitten treatment was all I ever gave. I have read that fleas that land on infected feces can spread the worms that way, also rodents, etc. Good luck at the vets, maybe he can give you something over the phone so you don't have the expense of an office call. Good luck with your babies and Merry Christmas! :christmas2:

Esme

Original Poster
Thanks Alpha. The vet's office is closed until tomorrow but in the meantime I've weighed everyone so that they can give me the proper dosages. Initially they just gave me medication for the kittens but since I don't know who threw up the worms I'll have to get dosages for everyone...ugh...this is the pits but we'll get through it. My Roscoe who is 16 and hasn't had much of an appetite lately is done to 6 lbs. and I'm concerned about him. I keep trying different foods but that seems to be upsetting his stomach and he had runny poo yesterday. I've been giving him the vet's pills for that and today he's better but this new roundworm situation is really putting me over the edge.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
It must be very hard to have several kittens and cats in the home. When one is sick, it may spread to the others, and the ones who are less strong will suffer most, regardless of age. Hugs to you and your Roscoe Esme, I'd be going off the edge too, for sure. :(

Esme

Original Poster
Thank you again my friend Alpha:love_heart: I went to the vet's office at lunch to pick up the dewormer but they only thought the kittens needed dosages...not the adults. I just need to stop worrying because I do my best to give them such a good life and they deserve it:)

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
You're a very kind person Esme, it's hard not to worry even when we do our best for them. :sentimental:

linda2147

you will need to get stool samples for all of them, put the samples in separate sandwich bags with their names on them, That way you will know who needs treatment and who doesn't.

Esme

Original Poster
I thought so too Linda although that's a daunting task and with 14 litter boxes I can't always catch the one responsible for its use. I gave the kittens their liquid dewormer last evening; however, Priss didn't get the full dosage as she jumped out of my arms and most of it got on her fur instead. It's always something but it will be okay!

linda2147

something you will have to do, maybe put a cat in the room by itself to get the sample, one cat at a time, if you don't treat them all even one cat not treated can keep reinfecting the others. Good luck with that

Esme

Original Poster
I'm thinking about buying some dewormer online and give it to everyone but I'm worried about the safety of self medicating.

Esme

Original Poster
Well here we go again!!! This morning my hubby found feces with roundworms in it! I have to call back the vet's office when the doctor is in because I asked for worm medication for ALL the cats this time...not just the kittens. I am stumped why this is happening!

linda2147

This would be an expensive treatment for you but "revolution" given monthly would prevent worms, heartworms and fleas. I don't think its used for ticks but it does kill worms. For whatever reason your cats are getting reinfected so maybe a worm preventative is the next step

Esme

Original Poster
Thanks Linda and you're right it's pricey but it may be worth it to stop this from happening. In the meantime I just spoke to the vet's office and she's giving me medicine for everyone. I could see if my cats went outside but they are indoor only and have never come across a rodent so I am at a loss. I asked about Roscoe getting medication and she told me it's safe. By the way, Roscoe's wound is almost all healed after the abscess on his face opened up. I still have the collar on Roscoe when we can't watch him so that he doesn't scratch and re-open it but we are in the home stretch thank goodness. He's doing so much better and the other day when my hubby had the fishing pole toy out Roscoe joined in and pawed at it...it was AWESOME to see:love_heart:

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Sorry to hear about your roundworm problem Esme, that is strange since they don't even go out. Good to know Roscoe's on the mend!

linda2147

obviously whatever they are giving you is not killing all the worms so they keep reinfecting each other. Could it be some different kind of worm and the wormer is not effective on them? I think a prevantive is the answer, stop the problem before it starts.

Esme

Original Poster
Ladies...thank you for your responses and I really appreciate your help!

lovemylittleboy

Oh I am sorry about your ordeal there Esme. I hope all goes well now that you have meds from the vet. Very glad Roscoe is doing well again! :love_heart:

Esme

Original Poster
Thanks again for the response...very funny DogForceOne! The vet gave me medication (I can't think of the name right now) in a bottle along with a few needleless syringes. She gave me a chart with their names and the appropriate dosage for each. I really hope this does it but I'm still checking out the Revolution...does anyone know if there is a generic version of this? I checked online and couldn't find anything.

Dog Force One

Banned
Just a note to mention that I trialled Revolution on my dogs here in the tropics and they all started getting TICKS. Suddenly lots of baby ticks everywhere. Revolution did not control ticks at all in the local environment. I quickly switched them back to Frontline Plus, which always controls ticks and fleas here.

Dog Force One

Banned
Read the box, not intended for ticks!
From Revolution's Website:

Keeping your dog safe from ticks is important. Even if you avoid wooded areas and carefully check your dog after being outside, it's still easy to miss ticks that may have crawled under the fur or in the ears. Help keep your dog safe from ticks and tick borne diseases by giving your dog a monthly dose of REVOLUTION® (selamectin). With monthly dosing, REVOLUTION controls American dog tick infestations in dogs and in puppies as young as 6 weeks.

Ask your veterinarian how REVOLUTION can protect your dog from ticks and other harmful parasites.

linda2147

[h=2]Revolution Cat[/h]
Kills fleas, flea eggs & larvae, roundworm, hookworm & ear mites.