Scratching post in a small area

CatMom1994

My last cat was a mostly horizontal scratcher. My desk chair was the only exception. Now without knowing if my next cat will be a horizontal or vertical scratcher, I am in the market for a scratching post that can be used both ways. Cat trees are out because I don't have enough floor space where the scratcher will go I can't choose a bigger space for it, but that is OK because my next cat will be small her entire life.

How tall should it be? Is carpet pr sisal better? Is it good or bad to buy a scratcher with toys attached?

CatMom1994

Original Poster
I put this scratching post in my Amazon cart after reading editor reviews on product ratings websites and why all-carpet has become endangered.

smartcat.jpg

I was trying to find a scratching post that can be used in both directions so whenever our next cat arrives, one of the first things she will see in my bedroom will be her claw toy.

Last edited:

linda2147

there are several scratching posts in my bat tree but their favorite is like the one in the picture, they really get into scratching that one. I think a carpet one would encourage them to scratch your rugs, go with this one

TTouch

Check out
"Purrshire Cat Sleeping Lounge"
"PETTOM 2 Piece Cat Scratching Board Lounger Set"
"Just For Kitten Chaise Catnip Cat Scratcher"
I have a scratching post simular to the one you posted although what my cat likes best of all is a outside door mat and that can be used flat or up against the wall, found cheaply at any DIY shop and very cheap to replace and if she doesn't like it you have a new entrance mat

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
I put this scratching post in my Amazon cart after reading editor reviews on product ratings websites and why all-carpet has become endangered.

View attachment 11261

I was trying to find a scratching post that can be used in both directions so whenever our next cat arrives, one of the first things she will see in my bedroom will be her claw toy.
I have this exact scratcher, and it’s really nice. My popcorn loves it. When she was a kitten, she would climb on it too. My dad actually installed a little carpet platform for her to sit on, and it works great. I would totally recommend it. 13F54F60-3B4E-40C7-BF55-8645A5C6409C.jpegA1FF3173-E7AA-417B-9D47-4BC1437C7A27.jpeg
8531231B-867D-4C96-9FED-7D7B8C01420E.jpeg

CatMom1994

Original Poster
Awww, she is so cute on the carpeted top. It looks so much better that way than a boring wood platform. But I am the opposite of a handywoman and my mom will think putting parts together is a big job if anything goes wrong.

It would be nice if Petsmaker made a shorter version of this one for small cats. My next cat will not be a big girl.

CatMom1994

Original Poster
My new cat will use a sisal fabric scratching ramp. It is just like what Daisy used except that one had seagrass.

linda2147

cat mom, if the cat is part bengal you really need a cat tree, they love to climb on high places they don't like to be picked up but will jump in your lap when they want to and are very loving and love to cuddle on their terms

CatMom1994

Original Poster
Luckily jumping on top of the kitchen cabinets is pretty easy for a cat her age. Daisy did this all the time:

1. Jump on counter above dishwasher.
2. Step onto the bar counter behind it.
3. Walk to the other end of the counter.
4. Jump on top of the cat food cabinet.
5. Enjoy the views from a higher perch.

I expect to see Aurora do the same thing because she can't have a big cat tree like your kitties do. What she can have is my old desk chair. It needs a replacement thanks to Daisy. So I am thinking about buying the kind of cat scratcher that can save your furniture without using tools.

Last edited:

CatMom1994

Original Poster
Of course all living room changes are subject to Mom's approval, but there is a space between the couch and front wall to add something that my new buddy will love. If Aurora is a horizontal scratcher, great. If not, I will look for something for that corner she can scratch vertically on.

Last edited:

CatMom1994

Original Poster
How is this for the ultimate toy? I have never seen a felt toy labeled as a scratching pad before. Would my next cat use it as one or only use a real scratching pad for that purpose?

cat toy.jpg