Senior Cat w/Hyperthyroidism Peeing On Clothes

Rt76013

Hi everyone. I took in my best friend’s 2 senior cats a few months ago (long story). We took the eldest one to the vet because he was super skinny. Found out he has hyperthyroidism, so we’ve been giving him his meds twice daily per the vet.

His kidneys are fine, as is everything else. Only issue is, even though his blood work is perfectly fine now, he’s constantly peeing on anything soft. Especially dirty clothes in baskets, dog blankets, a shirt that fell down in the closet, bathroom rugs, pillows…you name it. I thought that maybe since my friend had him declawed that it was due to his paws being too sensitive to the regular clay litter we’d been using, so I tried switching to a much softer, corn cob litter and that didn’t work either.

We’ve also tried litter attractant to no avail. The vet says it’s probably just due to his old age and condition but, he knows where all the litter boxes are (we have multiple) because he never goes #2 outside of them. I’m kinda running out of options here and appreciate any ideas/suggestions/remedies! Also, just an FYI, he still grooms, still eats and drinks, still tries to “play” by chewing on the crinkly toys we have.

He will wake up from a nap, go drink water then immediately barge through a door - bypassing the litter box that’s right in front of him - go inside the closet or on top of a chair and pee. My husband and I have to pretty much follow him around and when we see that he might need to pee, we will place him in the box and he’ll go. He hasn’t been spoiled by this…as we’ve only been doing this for a week. I’m not sure if it’s dementia from the hyperthyroidism or what. Please help!

linda2147

when they look for something soft to pee on its either a UTI or bladder crystals. cats that don't drink a lot of water tend to develop crystals. Usually affects male cats. this has to be taken care of because the bladder can burst and the cat will die. If this is the problem he will need to be fed wet food and a dry diet of special food. Also getting a fountain for him will encourage him to drink more. But he needs to be seen ASAP this bladder thing is something that cvan't wait He will need to be flushed out and if all the stones don't come out he will need surgery

Rt76013

Original Poster
when they look for something soft to pee on its either a UTI or bladder crystals. cats that don't drink a lot of water tend to develop crystals. Usually affects male cats. this has to be taken care of because the bladder can burst and the cat will die. If this is the problem he will need to be fed wet food and a dry diet of special food. Also getting a fountain for him will encourage him to drink more. But he needs to be seen ASAP this bladder thing is something that cvan't wait He will need to be flushed out and if all the stones don't come out he will need surgery
I appreciate your post. The vet says that he doesn’t have a UTI and he drinks water constantly from the fountain due to the hyperthyroidism. We feed him wet and dry food and he’s on a supplement for kidney health, even though his kidneys are fine.

TTouch

As he is medically clear then it is likely to be stress and/or pain and likely pain from arthritus which would cause him stress. As you say about changes in his life and senior cat then I would say they are the most likely reason.
The best product I know for releaving arthritus pain is a Bioflow collar https://www.bioflow.com/uk/product-category/for-cats/magnetic-cat-collar/ at the top of the page it says "Choose another country or region to see content specific to your location and shop online. " and gives AU, UK, USA