Seven myths about canine nutrition

shantyface

I found an interesting article I thought I would share with fellow dog owners: http://www.zootoo.com/petnews/canine-nutrition-tips-1716

I thought number 2 was particularly interesting.
2. "Raw eggs are an absolute no-no for dogs." This issue continues to spark debate, primarily because of the risk of salmonella poisoning. But dogs are far less susceptible to salmonella poisoning, and the occasional raw or boiled egg is an excellent source of protein for pooches.
I had never thought about giving a dog raw (or even cooked) eggs as a source of protein. I suppose an egg would be pretty tasty over some wet dog food, though!

towanda

I give my dog boiled eggs every now and then, but only as a special treat. My vet approved it, so I think they must be okay. My dog loves them! He goes crazy whenever I boil eggs, because he knows he will get one.

The other thing that I should mention is that my dog has very bad allergies, and I have to feed him really good dog food and treats (Blue Buffalo limited ingredient) because his skin gets rashes if he eats the cheaper dog foods, and he gets colitis. He has never had any bad reactions to boiled eggs, and like I said the vet approved them, so I think they are okay.

I am not surprised that raw eggs are bad, just because of the risk of salmonella.

Jessid1227

This is a good idea! I think I'll ask my Vet too. His dog gets carrots for his treats, poor thing ;) Do you slice the hard boiled egg for them?

towanda

Jessid, my dog is big, so I just give him the boiled egg whole. Sometimes he rolls it around for a while, like it's a toy. He'll roll it around, and sometimes when it rolls far enough away, he'll watch it, and then pounce on it like a cat going after mouse, and then he just devours it.

Attachments

EmmaJay

OMG, I have never even thought about giving our dog an egg, which is odd because we called him Eggy when we got him. The reason for the name was that his little belly was perfectly round like Paul Newman's when he eats 50 hard-boiled eggs in Cool Hand Luke.

towanda

OMG, I have never even thought about giving our dog an egg, which is odd because we called him Eggy when we got him. The reason for the name was that his little belly was perfectly round like Paul Newman's when he eats 50 hard-boiled eggs in Cool Hand Luke.
I never thought about it, but my dogs belly looks like Paul Newman's from Cool Hand Luke too, LOL. Cool Hand Luke is one of my favorite movies ever.

Attachments

marigold

I'll have to give some eggs to my little pooch. I'm always looking for healthy human foods to give her since she seems to loathe her dog food.

puppykawaii

I've never given my dog raw eggs before but I eat them all the time myself and have never gotten sick. The risk of getting salmonella from a raw egg is actually very low. Salmonella is usually found on the shell of an egg not inside of it. I wouldn't worry about a dog getting salmonella poison. The thing I worry about is that dogs can be susceptible to getting high cholesterol. I wouldn't want to give them too many egg yolks.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
I give a raw egg over my dog's dry food sometimes, never had a problem with it.

MorrisE

Mixing with Table Scraps... my 2yr old daughter often leaves, or scrunches up her hard boiled egg - at which point Charlie gets it.