Shots and other health

mollies

how expensive is it to get the dogs shots? how often do they need them?

towanda

I know several people who don't get dogs their shots as all, but they generally keep their dogs indoors, so they don't have to worry about the dogs getting bitten by anything.

My dog is an indoor dog, but I get his shots twice a year. The first time, he gets all of the shots he needs, as well as his teeth cleaned, nails trimmed, blood and urine tests, etc. 6 months later he gets booster shots and blood and urine tests again.

I generally pay a couple of hundred dollars at each appointment (not including the teeth cleaning) but I get every shot he could possibly need. Your vet might not think he needs as much as I get my dog.

The other thing is that I have pet insurance, so I get everything done that the vet recommends. You might want to check out pet insurance, as it has saved me a lot of money, especially as my dog has gotten older. He is now 8 years old and has hip displacia and arthritis, and without the pet insurance, I wouldn't have been able to get him all the treatment he needs.

Attachments

kitten

The main debate about vaccines is whether or not you are over dosing your dog. There is currently a huge debate on when you should get your puppies first shots done. Many feel that while inside the mother the puppies are already receiving the medications that she had. Furthering the debate is how often are the booster shots needed.

Many feel that like the health care system they are pushing the shots and vaccines on people to often and that the effects of the shots actually last longer than what they tell you. Many feel that dogs are increasingly getting tumors because of this as well as other health problems.

Best advice is to ask a few vets and do research and decide on your own what your pet needs and doesn't need. Indoor pets or outdoor pets need some shots... especially if you have escape artists. ;) You can save money if you de-worm and do your booster shots yourself! Parvo, Bordordatella, Rabies, and Heartworm are the major concerns. Parvo, Rabies, and Heartworm can kill your pet. Bordatella is sort of like the flu for dogs. I hope this information helps!

mollies

Original Poster
oh my! I hadn't thought of all of that. This puppy thing is going to take some more research and funding! thanks for all your input.