Should I bring my cat to college?

Kirakw

Hi everyone. so I am a senior in high school and I am about to go to college (it’s about 2 hours away). My cat is very attached to me as I am to him. He sleeps with me every night, follows me everywhere and only really hangs out in my room. He isn’t very attached to my other family members who live at home and only really go near them if I’m there. He never chooses to be near anyone else. I have been debating registering him as an esa (emotional support animal) because he provides me with a lot of emotional support and I have some mental health issues so I have the requirements to register one. And he would be able to live with me on campus which I think would definitely help me during this significant life event. However I don’t know if making these changes will be too much stress for him. He’s around 8 years old and has lived lived with us since he was around 8 months. I would miss him immensely but I don’t want to hurt him by forcing him to move into a college dorm ( it would mostly likely be a single so he’d avoid the stress of living with a new person). But I also don’t know how happy he would be living without me because, like I said, he is very attached to me. Another thing to note is that he is shy and not very adventurous, he mostly stays in my room and doesn’t wander the house very much. He sleeps most of the time and isn’t crazy energetic. I just don’t know if the good outweighs the bad in this situation. I want to do what’s best for him but if him moving with me to college won’t cause too much stress than I’d really like for that to happen. I’d really appreciate any advice, especially from professionals. Thanks in advance :)

linda2147

cats don't like change and with you being in classes and having a social life with new friends it may not be good for him to go with you. I say leave him at home where he is comfortable and people he knows. He may not adapt well to you having friends over. Unless you can have another cat to keep him company while you are gone I think its best to leave him where he is

pegasus

Are you having to leave the cat every day to go to high school or some other activity? My wife and I used to have a cat who was just as attached to me as what you describe. Back before we were retired we had to leave the cat alone for 8-10 hours a day, and she lived a very long life. As far as leaving him at home or taking him to the dorm that's hard to say. Our cat was okay when me moved but then we didn't have any more or different people over at the new place than the old place. Like linda2147 said, he may not adapt well to you having friends over or any other situation that he's not currently used to.

CatMom1994

I hope someday you can move into a pet-friendly apartment that is big enough for your cat to walk around and play on his own however he wants to within building pet rules. In s best-case scenario, you can just live in a dorm for only one year while working part time jobs.

hamsterlover123

Yes, I agree. Maybe visit your cat really often. You should try to get an apartment with 1 year in a dorm but focus on your studies first. 🐱