Should I get another cat?

fmitchelltx

My cat of 18 1/2 years passed away yesterday evening. I am heart broken but know he is in a better place. He was not sick. Old age just finally caught up with him

I have a small two bedroom house out in the country. I have 6 Chihuahuas, outside Pit Bull, and a Cockatoo. The Chihuahuas and cat were all inside full time. I go outside with the dogs and then bring them back in. The cat was indoor only. If I get another cat, he / she would be inside full time as well.

I have always had at least one cat. I am not ready yet of course to look for another cat yet. I am just looking for advice. My cat was my oldest kid.

I am wanting to get your thoughts on possibly getting another cat in the near future. The Chihuahuas got along well with the cat although I had to feed him on a table so that the dogs would not eat his food. All 6 dogs, the cat, and I shared the king size bed at night. As I am a man who lives alone, my animals are my kids, They rule the house, I am just their daddy.

I know there are kittens and cats at the local shelter or otherwise that need a good home. I love all animals and will give a great home.

I am not opposed to getting two cats so that they would have each other along with me and the dogs.

I am just concerned about bringing another cat into a home full of Chihuahuas. What do you think I should do?

I look forward to your responses

Thank you

linda2147

as long as the dogs are good with cats and if the cat you want is good with dogs and you can afford food, bet bills ect there is no reason not to get another cat. One does not take the place of another it makes a new place all its own. Go for it.

fmitchelltx

Original Poster
as long as the dogs are good with cats and if the cat you want is good with dogs and you can afford food, bet bills ect there is no reason not to get another cat. One does not take the place of another it makes a new place all its own. Go for it.

Thank you for your input. I have pretty well decided to get two cats so that they will have each other. I am going to wait a short while before I do anything. I will be looking though.

I know there are ones that need a good home with much love and support. Do you think I should go to the local shelter (pound) or look for free ones on sites such as Facebook in my area?

Thank you!

linda2147

good idea to get two, Go to a shelter, There are so many cats just waiting for a home. And they are already spayed, neutered and vetted. You get a free one and you don't know what you are getting. Free is never free, you could be asking for medical or behavior issues You may luck out but maybe not. If you save a couple of cats from a shelter you are saving more lives, the ones you take and makes room to save a couple more.

fmitchelltx

Original Poster
good idea to get two, Go to a shelter, There are so many cats just waiting for a home. And they are already spayed, neutered and vetted. You get a free one and you don't know what you are getting. Free is never free, you could be asking for medical or behavior issues You may luck out but maybe not. If you save a couple of cats from a shelter you are saving more lives, the ones you take and makes room to save a couple more.

Thank you. That is my thinking too

linda2147

post pictures of your furry family, we are always interested in seeing pictures of happy animals . I have a german shepherd and three cats, a siamese rescue and two bengals.