Should my friend re-home her dog?

Hey all,

One of my friends is asking for advice and I'm not sure what to tell her. Would love some input!

She is 18 years old, full-time in nursing school, works part-time, and rides horses. She has a 8.5 month old beagle mix that is around 30 lbs and extremely active. Had the pup since she was 8 weeks old. Potty trained, knows sit, down, wait, stay, hold on, come, inside, outside, in the car, nice, enough, paw, wave, over, under, through, easy. Good with most other dogs (can get into scuffles with other dominant females).

She is the sweetest thing and loves to cuddle and be petted. The pup needs to be watched every second she is out of her create because she is EXTREMELY food motivated and swipes food from counters, tables, etc. She also loves to steal and chew stuff when in her "naughty mode".

She lives with two cats and has learned to leave them alone most of the time. Loves going to the dog park and playing with her friends. Her mom does not have a fenced in yard so she is either on a tether or on leash. She spends an hour a day roughly at the park and goes for a mile sometimes two walk each day. She also chases food thrown around the house. She has some separation anxiety and doesn't do well in a crate or away from people.

Originally the puppy was going to be my friend's family's dog but a few weeks after adoption they were going to bring her back to the shelter. My friend believes that people shouldn't just abandon their dogs because they are hard so she convinced them to keep her. The puppy had picked my friend to be her person.

At this point the family is done taking care of the pup because she takes up so much time and is so much work. My friend is really struggling to balance everything and doesn't know if it was the best decision to keep the puppy. Installing a fence is not an option and neither are stopping college or work (the cats are hers also). She feels guilty for not wanting her all the time and for keeping her in the house a lot of the time. She also feels bad that because of it being hard for her the pup might need to be re-homed. She was thinking maybe the pup would be happier at a farm with plenty of room to run and smells to track. Would it be better off for both of them? Would the pup always be waiting for her to come back?
Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Original Poster
Also, she have many activities planned for the summer (working at a camp, kayaking, spending a lot of time riding horses, etc) that would be hard with the pup. Even at home it is hard for her to do stuff like sew, scrapbook, draw, etc because the pup needs to be watched. She says it's like a full-time job to watch her.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
That is a very sad situation for the dog. It seems a lot of her bad behavior is do to poor training, the dog shouldn't be going after food all the time that is not hers. Beagles are very active dogs who need lots of love, attention and exercise, I'm thinking your friend should have given her up to a good home early, the family wanted to get rid of her a couple of weeks after taking her in....now the poor girl has bonded with your friend and still the family seems to not want anything to do with her.

The dog should be with a family who really wants her, and knows about the breed. A family who will give her affection and play, and at least have a fenced yard. It's not fair to the dog to keep her in the house all the time, because the family isn't willing to spend time with her and train her in areas of concern.

I would hate to see the dog go back to a shelter, that is just cruel. If your friend can find someone who really wants the dog in their home "forever", that is best for the dog in my opinion. I wouldn't want to see the dog pushed on another family who will soon take here to a shelter, possibly a KILL shelter.

The dog wouldn't be thinking of your friend if she was with a family that was interacting with her and giving her a good life. If the dog was put in a loving home, your friend should stay away and let the new family bond with the dog. She is still young, active and in need of training. She can have a good life with someone else up until her old age if your friend chooses carefully who adopts the dog. Keeping here with your friend, especially since the situation doesn't ever sound like it will get better for the dog in the future, is just plain unfair to the animal. Good luck to the dog.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Also, she have many activities planned for the summer (working at a camp, kayaking, spending a lot of time riding horses, etc) that would be hard with the pup. Even at home it is hard for her to do stuff like sew, scrapbook, draw, etc because the pup needs to be watched. She says it's like a full-time job to watch her.
Having a dog is a full time job, like any family member. People who are too involved with their own activities and put that over the pet, should not have one. Sad that a lot of dogs go through this.

Summer

A sweet lady I know (in her 80's) adopted a dog from a family that had no time for it! It's a registered poodle her granddaughter found on neighborhood website for free! Poor little dog was a nervous wreck and was chewing the hair off his legs. 11 months later he is now a relaxed loved dog who has constant love and attention. That poor beagle needs a new home asap!!

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
A sweet lady I know (in her 80's) adopted a dog from a family that had no time for it! It's a registered poodle her granddaughter found on neighborhood website for free! Poor little dog was a nervous wreck and was chewing the hair off his legs. 11 months later he is now a relaxed loved dog who has constant love and attention. That poor beagle needs a new home asap!!
Well said, couldn't agree more. The friend can't change what already happened or turn back the hands of time, but they can certainly do what is best for the dog immediately. Find a good loving forever home, and wish the dog a happy and safe future.