Should someone say something?

HaylieR1221

My neighborhood is very congested and has a lot of animals-both pets and strays-who are having the same issue as Max. See, one of the houses has been setting off large firework displays every 2-3 hours for over a month, and Max is too afraid to go outside after they've done it. One of my neighbors is having the same issue with one of her dogs, who all but refuses to go outside the house because of all of the noise, and I've caught sight of a few of the stray cats-who almost every neighbor feeds-running off, completely terrified. It's becoming ridiculous, and my poor dog is too afraid to sleep, at night, most of the time.
I know it isn't illegal, but I don't know if I should say anything. As a pet parent, this is infuriating, because I can see that Max-along with my cats, Stark and Ghost-are having a hard the and nothing I do can help. Should I say something? How would everyone else go about handling this issue?

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
It happens in my neighborhood too, they've been starting early for the 4th of July, perhaps some were for Juneteenth. My dog is a little afraid, but not too bad. I've had dogs over the years that were terrified, heavy panting and sticking to me like glue. I never told the dogs that it was okay, but I ignored that they were having a reaction, not to give it too much attention in their minds.

I would let them be clingy to me, and calmly pet/massage them. I have thought of the Thundershirt in the past, but never bought one. Others I know did use them with little or no benefit. I am against using prescription drugs to calm pets, I think that just messes up their mind even more. I tried natural holistic relaxation remedies from the health food stores, but they don't help either from my experience.

You can make the TV or music a little bit louder to offset the noise of the fireworks. You can go out with the dog on active noise days/nights, use a leash in the yard if needed and show the dog he's not alone. I have never said anything to a neighbor to complain. Everyone already knows some pets are fearful of fireworks. If it's legal in your area, then they are going to blow them off regardless.

I personally have never got involved with fireworks, maybe a few firecrackers with my older brother as a young kid. If there's a professional show taking place at a distant park, I will look for a couple of minutes at the sky in that direction, but I get bored quickly.

Hugs to Max, hope he does okay. As far as the stray cats, they will be frightened and end up hiding somewhere for shelter until it's all over. They just deal with it, that's the rough life they unfortunately have. My dog and cat are in all night, and generally fireworks will start in the evening or night hours. Good luck! 💚

HaylieR1221

Original Poster
It happens in my neighborhood too, they've been starting early for the 4th of July, perhaps some were for Juneteenth. My dog is a little afraid, but not too bad. I've had dogs over the years that were terrified, heavy panting and sticking to me like glue. I never told the dogs that it was okay, but I ignored that they were having a reaction, not to give it too much attention in their minds.

I would let them be clingy to me, and calmly pet/massage them. I have thought of the Thundershirt in the past, but never bought one. Others I know did use them with little or no benefit. I am against using prescription drugs to calm pets, I think that just messes up their mind even more. I tried natural holistic relaxation remedies from the health food stores, but they don't help either from my experience.

You can make the TV or music a little bit louder to offset the noise of the fireworks. You can go out with the dog on active noise days/nights, use a leash in the yard if needed and show the dog he's not alone. I have never said anything to a neighbor to complain. Everyone already knows some pets are fearful of fireworks. If it's legal in your area, then they are going to blow them off regardless.

I personally have never got involved with fireworks, maybe a few firecrackers with my older brother as a young kid. If there's a professional show taking place at a distant park, I will look for a couple of minutes at the sky in that direction, but I get bored quickly.

Hugs to Max, hope he does okay. As far as the stray cats, they will be frightened and end up hiding somewhere for shelter until it's all over. They just deal with it, that's the rough life they unfortunately have. My dog and cat are in all night, and generally fireworks will start in the evening or night hours. Good luck! 💚
I do use a leash when he's out-yard isn't fenced-but so far that doesn't seem to help Max. I'll have to try massage, I usually pet him or let him curl up under my arm to feel safe, but both of those seem more like a band-aid fix, you know? I'll also have to try having his "white noise"-music from my phone, videos playing on the TV in my bedroom, and TV shows he actually seems to enjoy playing in the living room-louder.
Thank you for all of the advice, and I'll definitely pass the Hugs on to Max 😊

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
I do use a leash when he's out-yard isn't fenced-but so far that doesn't seem to help Max. I'll have to try massage, I usually pet him or let him curl up under my arm to feel safe, but both of those seem more like a band-aid fix, you know? I'll also have to try having his "white noise"-music from my phone, videos playing on the TV in my bedroom, and TV shows he actually seems to enjoy playing in the living room-louder.
Thank you for all of the advice, and I'll definitely pass the Hugs on to Max 😊
You might leave an old sweater, shirt, jacket of yours, one that hasn't been washed, in areas where he usually lies. Maybe in his dog bed, dog chair, under the kitchen table, etc. The more areas that smell like you in the house, the more comfort he may feel. I know that sometimes I'll jump myself with a loud thunder clap, so if you're tense at all when walking him in the yard, they say he will feed off of that and it will travel through the leash. I believe this, as I heard it many years ago from advice from Cesar Millan (Dog Whisperer). He said if you take a deep breath, change your attitude to be calm and confident, the dog will not be so nervous and unsure.