Sick goldfish

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
Hey guys! I should have posted this sooner, but I’ve been super busy.

I’ll sum up the state of things.

A few days ago I notice my ranchu resting a lot and seeming kind of lethargic. I immediately moved him to a breeder box to keep and eye on him and added some salt and prazipro to the tank. Next morning he looked worse. His fins were frayed, he wouldn’t eat, very lethargic.

I set up a quarantine tub with a cycled sponge filter, lots of prime and a mild dose of salt.

Next day he still wasn’t eating. I got him to swallow 1 bloodworm, that was it. He wasn’t pooping either and I was seeing some mild scale distention. I set up and Epsom salt dip for 15-20 minute.

Afterwords I did a waterchange on his tub with more salt and a light dose of Epsom salt, prime and stress coat. Scale distention got worse, making me think he has some form of dropsy. He had a small poop though, so that was good.

Next morning, still moderate scale distention (pineconing), lethargic, wouldn’t eat. I did another waterchange and added some almond leaves and cranked up the heat a little suspecting bacterial dropsy. I had to leave that afternoon and would be gone overnight, so right before I left, I did another waterchange with a slightly heavier dose of salt and Epsom salt.

Today. Got home. Not much change. Looks like he’s been pooping though (that is good). Did another waterchange with salt (no Epsom salt this time). But he ate some bloodworms and teeny bit of mashed pea today! Super happy about that. Still pretty bad scale distention and kind of lethargic though. I have kanaplex coming tomorrow, hopefully that will do something.

I was advised to give him an antibiotic treatment. I couldn’t get anything but kanaplex, so fingers are crossed.

My red cap Oranda his spunky as can be and looks great. He’s growing and has an enormous appetite and is very healthy. That is kind of what made me suspect bacterial dropsy or kidney issues. Parasitic dropsy would be very contagious and I doubt would make only the ranchu sick.

Just wanted to let y’all know the state of things and looking for advise on treating this. My poor baby is super precious to me and this is really scary. I’m trying to remain calm and not over-treat, but I’m a worry wort and I love this fish. I’ve never successfully treated dropsy before, but all I’ve dealt with in the past is parasitic dropsy that killed both my goldies and was devastating.

Last edited:

hamsterlover123

I am sorry about your Ranchu. You are doing above and beyond for it though. :) You seem like a great fish owner, but is it ok to change the water that many times? Does it cause stress in fish? I don't know too much about fish, but you can ask me about dogs, hamsters guinea pigs and I researched Yorkies (dog breed) for 6 months on my own.

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
Original Poster
I am sorry about your Ranchu. You are doing above and beyond for it though. :) You seem like a great fish owner, but is it ok to change the water that many times? Does it cause stress in fish? I don't know too much about fish, but you can ask me about dogs, hamsters guinea pigs and I researched Yorkies (dog breed) for 6 months on my own.
When a fish is sick, pristine water conditions are super important. It is recommended to change some of the water every day. Never change all the water at once though (in any case, not even in the tank), that can be stressful.

I’m doing 1 or 2 small waterchanges daily. I’m trying to keep 0 nitrates so he can get better easier. Clean water reduces stress and helps healing.

Usually as long as you don't change all the water at once, the more waterchanges the better.

Another important factor, I don’t remove the fish. I leave him in the tube and just scoop out some of the water and add fresh dechlorinated water. It’s the best way to avoid stress.

Last edited:

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
Original Poster
I guess I should update y’all. My little baby passed away this afternoon. I tried the kanaplex, but his health only deteriorated. I could tell it was organ (probably kidney) failure due to the amount of fluid buildup in his abdomen. I cried my eyes out, then buried him out in the garden.

RIP my little jellybean.:cry:

hamsterlover123

RIP jelly bean. 😭
I am so sorry about your fish, I am sure your fish meant a lot to you.
At least her pain went away. She must've been struggling and you did everything you could, your a great owner