Skin and bones

Soonerbob2000

Hello my name is Brian Lytle I'm brand new to your forum thank you for letting me share my story my dog was diagnosed with diabetes about four months ago he has gone from fifteen pounds to eight pounds he was put on insulin and hills prescription dog food within the last month he will not hardly eat but he does drink alot I'm disabled so I'm with him everyday I'm 50 years old man and sometimes I cry looking at him wasting away I take him to the vet all they do is monitor his glucose if you all know of anything that will help please let me know I did read on the hills reviews and 10 people took their dogs off the dog food and went back to regular dog food and there dogs gained their weight back and became more active any help would be appreciated thank you and God bless

linda2147

I would put the dog on a raw diet and as little carbs as possible. Carbs turn to sugar which is not good for diabetes. I am a raw feeder and never had any issues with any medical problems. You want to give a high protein diet but eliminate as much carbs as possible. Anything white is carbs, rice, potatoes, bread ect. a raw diet will make him gain weight because its mostly protein. I can tell you how to do if if you want

Last edited:

mechi2

I came across a site where someone said they give their diabetic dog cooked chicken breast mixed with pasta and cooked carrots, they mix it all up with some of the broth from the chicken.

Tia

Hello my name is Brian Lytle I'm brand new to your forum thank you for letting me share my story my dog was diagnosed with diabetes about four months ago he has gone from fifteen pounds to eight pounds he was put on insulin and hills prescription dog food within the last month he will not hardly eat but he does drink alot I'm disabled so I'm with him everyday I'm 50 years old man and sometimes I cry looking at him wasting away I take him to the vet all they do is monitor his glucose if you all know of anything that will help please let me know I did read on the hills reviews and 10 people took their dogs off the dog food and went back to regular dog food and there dogs gained their weight back and became more active any help would be appreciated thank you and God bless
I'd say find a different vet, if possible- one who will actually advise you on what to feed him and anything else you can do for his health. You shouldn't have to try to figure it all out by yourself.

linda2147

raw chicken would be better than cooked as cooking kills some of the nutrients. Pasta is carbs and so are carrots.