Social skills

Byulstars

Hello, i hope everyone can provide me some advices. I have a 2 year old dog. Due to the reason that whenever i bring him to the park nearby our house, the stray dogs will always act aggressive and hostile against him, that's why he is very wary around other dogs. I really wish to improve his social skills therefore I'm planning to bring him to a bigger park with more dogs. Can anyone recommend me some methods and precautions to make my dog more comfortable on this matter?

linda2147

I am not fond of dog parks, you don't know if these other animals are up to date on shots or what disease they an carry plus when a bunch of dogs get together the pack mentality kicks in and usually results in aggressive behavior and fights. There are better way to socialize your dog, have someone come visit with a dog or take your dog where there is only one or two non aggressive dogs. the decision is yours but parks are not something I ever recommend

Byulstars

Original Poster
I am not fond of dog parks, you don't know if these other animals are up to date on shots or what disease they an carry plus when a bunch of dogs get together the pack mentality kicks in and usually results in aggressive behavior and fights. There are better way to socialize your dog, have someone come visit with a dog or take your dog where there is only one or two non aggressive dogs. the decision is yours but parks are not something I ever recommend
Thank you !!

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Welcome @Byulstars ! What breed of dog do you have? When you say stray dogs, do you mean their owners are near but they're not on leashes? I suggest you just slowly socialize your dog with one or two other dogs, may someone in the neighborhood has friendly dogs who can visit with yours in the yard.

At dog parks, they do better if they're all off leash....leashed dogs can sometimes show aggression that they wouldn't if they were free. But, you dog can't be fearful and must respond to your commands to come when called, etc. I think there are dog parks that are smaller and only have, let's say, dogs under 50 pounds.....so no large dogs will be hurting small ones.