Spider Bite Issues!

Beachgirl

Hello, everyone! Newbie here. :) Has anyone had the unpleasant experience of having a spider bite your cat? A bite that resulted not only in an abscess but having your cat seem to not get well again even after a month and a half? Even my veterinarian is at a loss as to how to help her besides just some supportive care at the moment. Here's a rundown of what has been done already. Keep in mind that my cat is about 13 years old and was a completely healthy and energetic pet up until this happened:
Beginning of February: Noticed small lump on her left side by her elbow that quickly blew up into an abscess. The vet who drained it initially thought it was a cat bite from another family cat then changed his opinion when he couldn't find a second fang mark along with the necrotic tissue he saw. He did warn me that there was the possibility this may take a few months or so to clear out altogether. Her abscess site swelled back up and I had to take her in again. To date, she has had 2 Convenia injections, a 7 day round of liquid clindamycin, and a 10 day round of doxycycline that just ended this weekend. Bloodwork indicated high white blood cell counts, thus the doxy...and she is now anemic. All other counts were normal. X-rays showed no abnormalities. She has had a few rounds of fluids and a stretch of B12 injections. Pet Tinic is on hand but she hates it. The abscess site is completely healed, however, except for what feels like a ridge of odd tissue under the skin. Vet says that would probably take surgery to remove. The problem is my cat just continues to be lethargic and feverish off and on. She is eating but has lost a lot of weight. With the doxy she really seemed like she was finally getting better then went down again even while still on it.

I am sorry for the length of this. If anyone has had something similar happen please tell me any other treatment your vet may have done that helped. I would really appreciate it! My cat is not at death's door, but it's so hard seeing her so miserable for this long. Any supportive care treatment ideas are welcomed, too! I will be taking her in for fluids and B12 shots as needed. Thank you all and I hope you all have a great rest of your week!

Beachgirl

Original Poster
Hi! sorry I can't relate, but you would probably want to get the surgery ASAP
[/
Hi! sorry I can't relate, but you would probably want to get the surgery ASAP
Hi! I know...that's the first thing I thought of yesterday when the vet told me. However, I'm not sure if my cat is well enough to handle surgery. I have been suspecting that tissue since it grew a little and never really went away and wonder if her recurring fevers are because of that. But I think I will give them a call and see what they suggest. This whole thing is just weird...:-(

catsandcorals

I'm sorry your poor cat is going through all that. I've not had any situation like that with a pet and spider bite. Spider bites are rather unpredictable, especially when you don't even know what kind of spider it was. Even a non venomous bite can turn into a serious problem. I hope the kitty gets better quickly.

Beachgirl

Original Poster
Thank you! This whole thing has been bizarre. The spider bite diagnosis is even shaky because the vet only based it on what he saw when he drained the abscess. But I have no idea what else it could be.