Strange Baby Fish Born in Tank--Not Sure What to Do Now...

MrPeabody

I have a freshwater 20 gallon tank with mostly snails and two gourami fish. Earlier today I noticed a tiny silver thing (about the size of a grain of rice) seemingly swimming around. On closer investigation I saw that the small thing had a tail and fins, eyes, and a shell. Is it possible that my gourami and one of the larger snails did what animals do (mated)? I am utterly perplexed. Thoughts?

CatMom1994

Fish and snails can't do that. They are in totally different taxa on the tree of life.

Do you have any pictures?

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
A picture would help. Are you sure it has a shell?

It could be a small crustacean (maybe seed shrimp or daphnia or something) that managed to make its way into the tank.

If it doesn’t have a shell then there is a possibility it could be baby gourami that managed to escape from its parents and not get eaten.

What kind of gouramis do you have?

Whatever this creature is, I would definitely separate it. If it’s some type of unwanted crustacean, then you will want to move it, and if it’s a baby gourami then you will want to take it out before it’s parents eat it.

You can put it in a large bowl or container or something with a cycled sponge filter and it should be fine.