Stray pregnant cat, hasn't choosen a nesting place

nitron64

A few weeks ago a stray cat started frequenting our house. We thought she was looking for food and gave her some chicken. Since then she started coming daily and we noticed that her belly was getting bigger, like as in she might be pregnant.
Since this evening she has been meowing constantly and is restless and not eating food. I don't know if she's closer to giving birth. She hasn't even picked a spot for nesting yet. She just keeps roaming the house meowing and my mom is getting annoyed by it.
What can I do to make the cat comfortable and help her choose a spot for giving birth?

linda2147

Bring her inside. fix up a box with some rags, put her in a room and shut the door. You don't want her to have the kittens ouside as they will be feral kittens. She's meowing because the poor little thing is asking for help. Do the humane thing and help her. She can give birth by herself, she doesn't need any help, right now she just needs a safe place to have her kittens. Do not offer her food, just make sure she has access to clean water

Last edited:

nitron64

Original Poster
She can come and go freely as she likes, I keep the door open for her. I tried to make a safe spot for her, but we have like three small rooms and one of them is our shop, so there is always traffic around that spot and she just doesn't stay put in a place. As soon as she sees me she starts meowing and following me around the house.
Also we have a dog so I can't keep her in my room on the terrace(Terrace is my bitch's ruling kingdom).
I will try to make a spot with a crate which will be bigger than a box and see if she likes the larger space. Thanks.

linda2147

Do not let her go outside, she will find a place to have her kittens, then you will have a hard time to find them and if you don't find them they will become feral. If you have a crate that will do just put a litter box and water and rags or blankets for her to have her babies. If it comforts her for you to stay with her then stay with her, talk softly to her and maybe rub her belly if she'll let you. Cats don't usually have a hard time giving birth but especially if this is her first litter she just needs a little reassurance.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Linda's advice is the best you can get. There is no reason to let her give birth outside. When it is time, she will definitely stay put in a place. She is not going to need much space, so a small room is fine. Dogs can go outside; cats cannot.

I think you are worried nothing will change. The reality is kittens spend most of the day sucking milk out of their mommy and the dam rarely leaves except to take care of herself. This goes on for a month. The main issue is keeping your dog away from them as she will get defensive.

nitron64

Original Poster
She sneaked outside last night and gave birth. I have been trying to find the kittens with no luck. The cat came back for food, looked healthy, stayed a while and sneaked off again. Hope she gave birth at a sheltered space, as it's raining season here.