Ten Things You Probably Never Knew About Chickens

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Thought Yetidog might like to see this article. :)

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
I read there is a myth that brown eggshells mean the eggs are healthier. It means nothing except the color of the chicken

linda2147

white or brown eggs are the same. Different breeds of chickens lay different colored eggs. The health of the chicken has nothing to do with anything

Yetidog37

Chicken crazy
Actually, there are a lot of people that don't know about chickens and egg laying @linda2147 and @CatMom1994.
Chickens that are healthy won't get egg-bound as often as chickens that are not healthy. It also depends on what your feeding your hens. You need the right feed depending on what you are using your chickens for and what there age is. For example, you need chick feed for chicks. You need chick grit as well. As they grow up, you change their diet.

Feeding your chickens crushed oyster shell will make the egg shells harder and less breakable. Also @CatMom1994, the color of the chicken does not determine the color of the egg. You can tell what color their eggs will be even before they start laying. (About 1 or 2 weeks maybe.) Guess how? By there ear lobes. Yes, its true. White ear lobes mean white eggs. Red ear lobes mean brown eggs. And another thing: Only a few breeds of chickens lay different colored eggs. Most lay brown or white.

Thanks for the link Alpha!

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Original Poster
Actually, there are a lot of people that don't know about chickens and egg laying @linda2147 and @CatMom1994.
Chickens that are healthy won't get egg-bound as often as chickens that are not healthy. It also depends on what your feeding your hens. You need the right feed depending on what you are using your chickens for and what there age is. For example, you need chick feed for chicks. You need chick grit as well. As they grow up, you change their diet.

Feeding your chickens crushed oyster shell will make the egg shells harder and less breakable. Also @CatMom1994, the color of the chicken does not determine the color of the egg. You can tell what color their eggs will be even before they start laying. (About 1 or 2 weeks maybe.) Guess how? By there ear lobes. Yes, its true. White ear lobes mean white eggs. Red ear lobes mean brown eggs. And another thing: Only a few breeds of chickens lay different colored eggs. Most lay brown or white.

Thanks for the link Alpha!
You're welcome for the link Yeti! :) I don't know anything about chickens, but some things are just common sense. Since I never had chickens for pets, or lived on a farm or ranch, I'm happy to learn different things about chickens and eggs. 🐔

linda2147

eggs are soft when they are first laid, when the air hits them the shell hardens. the older the hen the bigger the egg, old hens lay double yokes

Yetidog37

Chicken crazy
You're welcome for the link Yeti! :) I don't know anything about chickens, but some things are just common sense. Since I never had chickens for pets, or lived on a farm or ranch, I'm happy to learn different things about chickens and eggs. 🐔
I posted a thread (I see you already posted on it) all about chickens. I will be posting lots of info there. :) And feel free to ask questions!

Yetidog37

Chicken crazy
How old is "old" for a chicken?
It depends on what your looking at. If your chickens are for eggs, then 3 or 4 they usually slow WAY down. Meat, they are butchered at about 12 weeks. Old for a chicken in general, though? Well, probably about 7 years.

Yetidog37

Chicken crazy
eggs are soft when they are first laid, when the air hits them the shell hardens. the older the hen the bigger the egg, old hens lay double yokes
The first part of your post is true, but the second part "somewhat" true. My hens have laid quite a few double yokers already. And they are not even a year old yet! That is sort of a myth that lots of people believe.