The Scraps Debate

TheMightyTinMAN

Personally, I feed my dog Table Scraps. My dog is so spoiled in fact that if I go through the Drive-Thru and she's with me, she might just get a little baby burger of her own. I know alot of people have strong feelings about this either way. Growing up, we tried not table feeding the first dog that we had, but it didn't work. Is there any reason why so many people are against it? Is it really that bad?

~TheMightyTinMan

shantyface

I think the biggest concern here is pet obesity. Many people these days have pets that don't get as much exercise as they need, so it doesn't take much scrap feeding to end up with an obese dog. Unfortunately, a lot of people just don't realize how much of a health problem that can be.

However, "all things in moderation", right? I think as long as your dog is getting enough exercise and is physically fit, it's fine to treat him/her sometimes. It's just about making sure to not cross the line from "treat" into "health hazard".

Jessid1227

I think that overall health is an issue too. I have a hard time putting drive thru food into my own body, I would steer clear from giving it to my dog.

Proportionally, our pets tend to be so much smaller than us that the effect a burger or a few fries would have on them is far worse than what it does on us.

I saw a book in my Vet's office that showed different "people foods" and how they weighed in for animals. I wish I could have the exact amounts but it was stunning. One small piece of cheese to a dog equaled something like the fat content of 3 sticks of butter for humans. (That's just the idea, not the exact amount...) However, every person is different and no one is perfect. If your pet has healthy check ups then more power to you! I'm sure he loves you for it!

towanda

I used to give my dog the cheap McDonald's cheeseburgers as a special treat every now and then, but he developed some severe allergies and colitis so I could no longer feed him junk food. I have no idea if the junk food contributed to his problems, but it very well could have. I have a friend who has a dog that she feeds cheeseburgers and fries and ice cream to, and the dog is obese, and has high blood pressure, and a diabetes. Like Jessid said, it's an overall health issue, but if your pet is healthy, then it probably isn't that awful to give something bad as a treat every now and then. I just wouldn't make it a steady diet.

kitten

The main reason people frown on table scraps is the dog will most likely beg for food or even worse try to take it off your plate or your house guest. This also can cause tension if you have multiple dogs, they may become food aggressive and fight. Most importantly drive-thru food is not good for people therefore it is not good for pets. But to each his own.

orpheros

My reason for no table scraps is my little Boston terrier's tummy couldn't handle it! (Plus it would add to her awful gas.. ew.)

A few here and there shouldn't hurt.. but giving them people food on a regular basis isn't good for them. Their digestive systems don't have the same capabilities ours do. Depends on the dog, depends on the scraps.