The search is on for my next cat

CatMom1994

I was a whisker away from adopting my next cat. I arrived at PetSmart just 10 minutes after an adoption event began, but was told the cat we both wanted - an orange and white DSH named Simone - was in the process of being adopted. I asked about another cat there. One volunteer told me he currently has a "stomach issue" but I can try to adopt him later. That one, a gray and white DSH they call Grant, is described as a lap cat who "purrs like crazy" and more interested in scratches than toys. I will definitely apply for Grant's adoption ASAP because the organization's system requires already knowing who we want to adopt before their adoption counselors meet people PetSmartl.

CatMom1994

Original Poster
So far, Grant is still not listed as available for adoption on the Faithful Friends Pet Rescue and Rehoming website. I searched for cats on Petfinder and Adopt a Pet, but had no luck finding a lap cat described as cuddly, affectionate, and good with kids.

My sister and BIL are coming the second weekend of October so this search is on "pawse" for almost three weeks. But one calico at the Humane Society of Marion County (where Ocala is) looks irresistible:

boo.jpg

ElizabethAnne

So far, Grant is still not listed as available for adoption on the Faithful Friends Pet Rescue and Rehoming website. I searched for cats on Petfinder and Adopt a Pet, but had no luck finding a lap cat described as cuddly, affectionate, and good with kids.

My sister and BIL are coming the second weekend of October so this search is on "pawse" for almost three weeks. But one calico at the Humane Society of Marion County (where Ocala is) looks irresistible:

View attachment 12048

OLD POST - I only just saw that now :)

I was wondering how your search was going? Have you been able to get Grant? I think you are amazing and brave too, I have never been able to even walk into anywhere where cats are needing homes: I would want them ALL :) Luckily all our rescues (at one point, 5 cats, 7 dogs) landed with us, they seemed to find us rather than I went to find them. That did make it a bit easier. Good luck with your new cat, I think it's wonderful :)

CatMom1994

Original Poster
I was wondering how your search was going? Have you been able to get Grant? I think you are amazing and brave too, I have never been able to even walk into anywhere where cats are needing homes: I would want them ALL.

Luckily all our rescues (at one point, 5 cats, 7 dogs) landed with us, they seemed to find us rather than I went to find them. That did make it a bit easier. Good luck with your new cat, I think it's wonderful.
Honestly, after initially thinking Faithful Friends Pet Rescue listened to me and took Grant off the "adoptable cats" page for clarity, I never saw him on that webpage again and started wondering if they cheated on me. If Grant was sick and unavailable for adoption, what was he doing at a store during an adoption event? I almost gave up on him because it looks fishy to me.

Until today. Because you asked about him, I went back to the adoptable cats webpage . . . and there he is!

Last edited:

CatMom1994

Original Poster
For some reason I can't post a link to Grant's page. You have to click on the picture of Grant on the webpage that shows all of their adoptable cats.

https://faithfulfriendsrescue.org/available-cats

Grant.jpg

You can see why he would be purrfect if the people he loves include fifth graders.
Grant is an old soul in a young body. He is so eager to find a lap and snuggle up. He loves people, and will come find you to flip in your lap for scratches. He always enjoys being spoiled by treats, and purrs like crazy. He is super friendly and loving!. He has done well in limited interactions with other animals, and tends to seek out people more than play. He should do well with a slow introduction.

Last edited:

CatMom1994

Original Poster
The search is over now! I talked Mom into returning to Petsmart because she again needed to shop at Trader Joe's specifically when were in the car together. Grant was eating when we arrived, but did not care when Mom petted his tail. Someone else who had petted him minutes earlier said all the info is correct about loving people and purring. When I petted Grant to feel how soft he is, he licked my fingers. He never showed any signs of shyness, staying at the front of his cage the whole time. Mom finally agreed to adopt him. So Grant will be my next cat.

CatMom1994

Original Poster
Grant is off the list of adoptable cats now because the adoption application was approved. I have an appointment to officially adopt Grant at 5:00 today.

😸 💟

ElizabethAnne

Oh I'm completely confused as I was looking at your "Joined" date of July 2017 thinking that was the post date!!!!!

I'll start again shall I :) - I am SO SO pleased to hear that you will now be Grant's human and him your cat! THat is wonderful news. What a gorgeous boy he is. That makes me so happy.

CatMom1994

Original Poster
Oh I'm completely confused as I was looking at your "Joined" date of July 2017 thinking that was the post date!
The post time/date stamp is in the upper left corner of each post.
I'll start again shall I :) - I am SO SO pleased to hear that you will now be Grant's human and him your cat! THat is wonderful news. What a gorgeous boy he is. That makes me so happy.
The cat is here. I am calling him "good cat" until he gets a real name.

legendmoon

LegendMoon Petshop
The cat must be purrfect for fifth-grade children to pet and play with immediately. Stray cats are not.
Even newborn babies in Turkey can become friends with stray cats after a while. We in Turkey attach great importance to stray cats.

CatMom1994

Original Poster
Even newborn babies in Turkey can become friends with stray cats after a while. We in Turkey attach great importance to stray cats.
You are talking about babies who live with the cats, right? Not visiting nieces and nephews? Big difference.

Americans also put great importance on stray cats, but they care very much about matching them to the right people. I found my match.

legendmoon

LegendMoon Petshop
You are talking about babies who live with the cats, right? Not visiting nieces and nephews? Big difference.

Americans also put great importance on stray cats, but they care very much about matching them to the right people. I found my match.
Yes, we take stray cats into homes and feed them. We are against buying cats with money. Especially in the last 4-5 years, the cat population has increased tremendously.

CatMom1994

Original Poster
Yes, we take stray cats into homes and feed them. We are against buying cats with money. Especially in the last 4-5 years, the cat population has increased tremendously.
We are too. Nobody who adopts an animal at Petsmart is buying a cat or dog.

CatMom1994

Original Poster
If you paid for it you bought it, doesn't matter that it's called an "adoption." The positive is that you gave a homeless cat a home and family.
I did not pay for the cat. The adoption fee covered his veterinary care and the microchip registration. Buying a cat means paying for the cat itself - not his wellness checkup, microchip, neuter, anti-paraiste medication, etc. All of that comes out of the customer's pocket after the cat is bought if someone buys a cat from a breeder. Huge difference. Why do you think all animal rescue organizations are volunteer-operated nonprofits?