things are not good with me

linda2147

Middle of the night Friday I woke up with a terrible headache just over my right eye. Opened my eye and could see nothing. Everything was black.

Went to urgent care Saturday and that doctor said he couldn't help me I had to go to the er and see an eye surgeon. He called ahead and the surgeon met me at the hospital. I was given an IV and he put me on four different drops and a pill. The pressure in my eye was 77. Normal is 25, kept me there five hours then said I could go home but had to go to his office in the morning.

I went and he tried to do some test but the eye is so bad he couldn't do much. Then he told me I have to see a surgeon in Boston so he made an apt for me for Tuesday at 10:30. Told me if I hadn't gone in to see him I would have been totally blind within 24 hours. So I have to keep putting the drops in four times a day and the pills twice a day until I go to Boston.

I will need some kind of eye surgery if there is any hope in saving the eye. Not looking forward to this, I hate going to Boston for anything but I have no choice. My son in law has hired a limo to get me there and back and my daughter is coming with me but I am still not looking forward to this.

I still have the headache, not as bad but dr. said until the pressure is relieved I will have the headache. Just hope they can save the eye. I don't know what I'm in for but whatever it is can't be good. Alex moved in with his girlfriend but said he'd come back home until I get home to take care of Phoenix and the cats. Not everyone can come in here with her.

I know things have a way of working themselves out but still the unknown is terrifying. I also know that Boston has the best doctors on the east coast so if anyone can help me they can but I am still not looking forward to the whole ordeal.

Matrix

Admin
So sorry for your eye problems, Linda. Fortunately you are close to Boston, they have the best doctors in the world, you will be taken good care of, be positive! :)

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
I know but its still scary
Eye surgery is scary for everyone who has it. You are not alone. Nobody likes doing this. But always remember where you are is not something to be scared about.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
I also belong to a Christian message board and will ask them to pray for you.

Does anyone know what caused this or at least have an idea?

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
I will be over the Atlantic Ocean then - going to Europe for two weeks - but I hope you can give everyone else a good update from the hospital.

linda2147

Original Poster
had my apt. this morning in Boston, didn't go as good as I had hoped for. I need two maybe three surgries on the eye. First to remove a large, thick cataract, second is I have glacoma and they are going to put a shunt in the eye to leave in to keep the eye draining then use a laser to make a path for it to drain. They said when when the pressure went so high it caused irrepaiable damage to the optic nerve. They are hoping to restore some sight in the eye but the eye will never be like a normal eye. My surgery is the 24th and have to go back to check it on the 25th so will be getting a hotel room for the night so not to have to travel back and forth. Then have to go back a week later, then again the next wee, then the next month then in three months. Won't know really how much damage until they get the cataract out of the way so they can see behind it. I saw several drs and had numerous tests done. Was there over five hours getting tested. Have 4 eye drop prescriptions I have to use twice a day until the day of surgery. I will keep you all updated if anything changes

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
So sorry to hear about your eye Linda, that must be a frightening experience losing sight in it after headache pain, our eyesight is so precious, I really hope they do a good job in surgery and you can at least gain partial sight in that eye. I wonder what made your pressure so extremely high so quickly.

You'll be in my thoughts on the 24th, wishing you the best. Hang in there my friend, when it rains it really pours for you lately. :( I hope the pain and discomfort isn't too bad, but I imagine it is. Will be looking forward to your update after the surgery, hope it goes smooth with no complications. Please take care.

linda2147

Original Poster
No one knows why the pressure went so high in that eye. I still have the headache off and on as the pressure fluctuates. I have four different eye drops that do help some. I've been on them for two weeks and got refills enough to last until after the surgery. Who knows after that. Already have the limo booked to take us to Boston for the surgery and staying at a hotel that night as I have to go back for a checkup the next morning, then the limo will bring us home. Alex will be staying here while I'm gone and Penny will come mid day when she get she gets out of work to take Phoenix out. But I have the best doctors in the world working on my eye so if anyone can do anything its them. Tuffs medical center is the best of the best and even though I hate going into Boston I have to do it.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
That sounds serious Linda, but it's comforting to know you'll be getting quality care and have family to support you during this time. Having a limo available is great, one less thing to stress about.

Saav

Author of The Cats of Stony River
Ohhhhh no I am praying for you all the way untill you get home and healthy and well.

Bless you dear.

Your Saav

linda2147

Original Poster
The dr. said the high pressure in the eye damaged the optic nerve, he won't know how much damage was done until he actually gets in there to see. He thinks he can restore my sight at least partially but even that is a wait and see

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Linda, how is your eye feeling today, are you in much pain, are the drops helping?

linda2147

Original Poster
the drops are helping, I can see some light in the eye and shadows. I can't tell what it is but I am seeing something. Got a call this afternoon saying I have to be in Boston by 8 instead of 10 Monday morning. I again told them I don't want to be awake during the surgery and was told they will give me something called twilight, I'll be able to talk but unable to move and won't be aware of what's going on.

linda2147

Original Poster
But I still get headaches, doctor said its because the pressure is fluctuating and once its stable the headaches will stop. The headache is pretty bad, feels like my eyeball is popping out. Its just over that eye. Nothing helps that, not tylenol pr evem alleve.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Between the eye and the headaches, that must be very disturbing and painful. I hope that Twilight works for you and is safe, I never heard of that before. Thinking of you and hoping that everything works out and you get relief and your sight back close to normal.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Thinking about you today Linda, and hoping that your surgery went smooth and you're doing okay.

linda2147

Original Poster
I'm doing ok, got home a little while ago but the surgery didn't go as planned. Took an hour and a half to try to repair the damage, the pressure had gone so high part of the cornea came off and extemsove damage to the optic nerve left me with about 5% sight in the eye the dr. is hoping once the eye heals I'll get a little more but it will never be normal. And if I start having that headache again I will have to go back for another surgery. They put a shunt in the eye but if that plugs up and doesn't drain the pressure will go up again and another surgery will be necessary. Not the outcome I had hoped for but at least the headache is gone. Worse case if the drain keeps plugging up the eye would have to be removed. I'm on five different eye drops and have to go back to Boston next Tuesday for more test and to see the dr. again.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Oh my Linda, sorry you had to go through all that and lose so much of your vision. Aside from the surgery, just the thought of them having to possibly remove the eye must be very upsetting. I hope things work out as best as possible for you, and very happy you have family there to support you during this time....hugs, please take care.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Ugh, this is worse than I expected. My fear was glaucoma but I thought one surgery would be enough to repair everything that can be fixed. I am so sorry about this and also feel bad about not being able to get these updates during my trip to offer real-time support. Thank God you have wonderful doctors at Tufts and a limo for hospital transportation. Everything will be as good as it can be when you are all done.

linda2147

Original Poster
Things usually have a way of working themselves out. I can't see out of the eye anyway so if its gone I won't be missing much. I had really hoped that this surgery would fix the problem but some things can['t be fixed and guess my eye is one of them. Phoenix and the cats were glad to see me, Alex stayed here for the two nights I was gone and he said Sandy wandered around the house all night crying looking for me. He just left, he stopped in to see how I was doing on his way home from work. I was released after I got out of recovery, went back to the hotel and slept all afaterrnoon. We were in North Boston which is known as little Italy. Ordered some real italian food and had it delivered to the hotel. Much as I hate Boston its worth going there just for the food. This morning went back to the doctor's then came home. Got to go back on Tuesday then I should be all set for a month when I have to go back again. Boston is an awful place, traffic, people with their nose stuck in their phones walking around in front of traffic, cars and trucks cutting each other off its a mess. Not for me. I wouldn't live there if they gave me the whole city. Give me the peace and quiet of country living, big city is not for me