Transporting your pet safely!

cluckmecoop7

Blue Boy - My new betta
Hi all,

This is one of Esme's old threads and it is very important so if you don't mind I would really like to share it again. I did it to one of Alpha1's old threads and she did not mind so I think it is ok. Please tell me if I am wrong. Thanks!

Here it is:

"
I found this article on Animal Bliss website and written by Valerie Cox and I think it's very informative:
Each time we drive our vehicles, we fasten our seat belt and make sure our children are buckled in, but what about our pets? Just like humans, animals need protection too. Follow these several easy steps on how to transport your pets while driving to ensure your furry friend’s safety.
Driving with your pet roaming around your vehicle is not only a danger to your pet but also to yourself and other motorists. Thousands of wrecks happen every year because of unrestrained pets, and wrecks caused by pets are considered distracted driving. In Hawaii, driving with a pet on your lap is illegal, and many other states are following suit with pet transportation legislation. Not only are you placing your life in danger, you can face steep monetary fines.

While riding in a vehicle, a crate is one of the safest ways for your pet to travel. Crates hold your pet which will alleviate distracted driving on your part. Many animals, in particular cats, prefer to ride in crates, but it is the safest option for any type of animal. When choosing a crate, make sure there is proper air circulation for your pet, and you should confirm the crate is safety certified and crash tested. Some crates have crash bags inside, and your veterinarian should have recommendations based on your pet’s breed and size. After you purchase your crate, secure it with a seat belt or tie-down straps (offers the most protection). Animals should always ride in the backseat or in a cargo area because riding in the front seat is dangerous due to the airbags and projection possibility.
An alternative to using a crate is a harness, and this option is geared toward dogs. The restraint should allow the dog to sit down but not roam around. A short tether option is better because it will allow less length for your dog to be thrown around if your vehicle is in a wreck. The harness should run down the center of the chest and have thick shoulder pads to prevent crush injuries and lacerations. Restraints are designed to use in the cargo area, and if your pet is riding in the cargo area, you might consider investing in a car mat or pet barrier to protect your flooring.

Allowing animals to stick their heads out of the window seems fine, but this is one of the worst activities you can allow your pet to do. Having their heads out of the windows can lead to damage to their eyes, mucous membranes, and heads from wind and debris. In addition, some animals will be inclined to jump out of the window because they are fascinated by something you drove by. When your pet is riding with you, turn off the automatic button feature and do not allow your pet access to the outside of the vehicle.
Even if you are only leaving your vehicle for a few minutes, the temperature effect can be catastrophic for your pet. In just ten minutes, a car temperature can rise 19°, and within an hour, the temperature can climb up to 43°. Even if it’s just a quick stop, do not leave your pet in your vehicle, and if you are traveling for an extended period, bring a bowl and water along for your pet.
Simple actions, like transporting your pet in a crate and not leaving your pet in a hot car, can have a positive impact on your driving and on your pet’s life. Before you transport your furry friend again, make sure to research the safety options best for your pet."

CatMom1994

Rest in peace Daisy
You are not wrong if Alpha says it's OK because she is the moderator.

Transporting pets safely is always a concern for people who travel with them. I know someone who drove her three dogs from Gainesville, Florida to Atlanta, hten West Virginia, then Pittsburgh, and back home. She said they were great. The reason for her decision not to fly was the dogs.

cluckmecoop7

Blue Boy - My new betta
Original Poster
Ok, thanks! I was not sure I could do that because it's not my thread. I don't want to break any rules you know! :friendly_wink:

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
You're just replying to her thread Yeti, you can write the word bump or make any comment to bump the thread to the top of the viewing list, like I did in the example.

cluckmecoop7

Blue Boy - My new betta
Original Poster
You mean I could say something like: "Thanks for sharing!" To bump it?

I thought only if the thread was yours than you could bump it. Thanks for telling me all this. BTW, Why did you change your avatar pic back to that one?

Thanks

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Yes, of course, you can reply to any thread you want Yeti. No reason for the avatar, I change it whenever I feel like with any image at all.

cluckmecoop7

Blue Boy - My new betta
Original Poster
Ok, thanks for all your help!! Much appreciated, much appreciated! :frog2:

CatMom1994

Rest in peace Daisy
I recently finished listening to the audiobook "Bring Jade Home." (It is also available in print.) Jade got lost in Yellowstone National Park after a car wreck caused her plastic "airline carrier" to shatter,. She was not injured, but went the owner did not see her again for 44 days.