Tropical Tank Ideas!

PhoenixKoi

I have a 55 gallon half hexigon tall tank with 7 goldfish and 1 koi. It may seem a little overstocked and in a reality it is but its only a holding tank. Last year I got a 60 gallon pond that held our fish for the summer untill winter came around and the pond wasnt deep enough for the fish to proporly survive. So thats how we got the tank, We orderd a new pond since the fish are getting a lot bigger. The new pond is 175 gallons and will be here today or some time this week. Over the weekend we are going to dig out a space for it and set it up with some water from the old pond. We are going to try and get the fish moved in next Friday if posible and move the 55 gallon holding tank upstairs from the basement. My plan was to take the tank upstairs, restart the whole thing, add new decor and turn it into a tropical fish tank. The reason we are going to entirly restart it is because those goldies are dirty and that whole tank has become a dump (If you have goldies you know the struggle) Anyways, what I wanted to go over were my stocking Ideas. This is my plan:
- Honey Gourami, Dwarf Gourami or Powder Blue (yes i know the powders and Dwarf can be a bit aggresive)
- Rummy nose tetra, Ember Tetra or Long finned Rosy barbs (If we got the barbs we wouldnt get the gourami)
- Cory Catfish, Dwarf Crayfish, Snail or Kuhli loach
Those were my ideas, if you have any recomendations or things i may need to fix feed free to comment it (I wont be offended, I just want a sucessful tank)

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
I have a 55 gallon half hexigon tall tank with 7 goldfish and 1 koi. It may seem a little overstocked and in a reality it is but its only a holding tank. Last year I got a 60 gallon pond that held our fish for the summer untill winter came around and the pond wasnt deep enough for the fish to proporly survive. So thats how we got the tank, We orderd a new pond since the fish are getting a lot bigger. The new pond is 175 gallons and will be here today or some time this week. Over the weekend we are going to dig out a space for it and set it up with some water from the old pond. We are going to try and get the fish moved in next Friday if posible and move the 55 gallon holding tank upstairs from the basement. My plan was to take the tank upstairs, restart the whole thing, add new decor and turn it into a tropical fish tank. The reason we are going to entirly restart it is because those goldies are dirty and that whole tank has become a dump (If you have goldies you know the struggle) Anyways, what I wanted to go over were my stocking Ideas. This is my plan:
- Honey Gourami, Dwarf Gourami or Powder Blue (yes i know the powders and Dwarf can be a bit aggresive)
- Rummy nose tetra, Ember Tetra or Long finned Rosy barbs (If we got the barbs we wouldnt get the gourami)
- Cory Catfish, Dwarf Crayfish, Snail or Kuhli loach
Those were my ideas, if you have any recomendations or things i may need to fix feed free to comment it (I wont be offended, I just want a sucessful tank)
I personally love honey gouramis and pearl gouramis. I’ve heard honeys are very personable and social, but pearls are also super pretty. Other center fish are German rams. German blues and golds are both really pretty.

have you looked at Odessa barbs? Those thing are gorgeous! If you plan on sticking with tetras, then I think lampeyes and embers would look really pretty. Other ideas are rasboras. Rasboras are super cute and also very pretty. I personally like harlequins and lambchops.

I don’t know about crawfish is community tanks, even dwarfs might pick off baby or sick fish.

Cory cats and Kuhli loaches are both adorable, and either of them will live quite happily along side snails and community fish. Kuhli loaches are super cute and so cool (I have a school of them), but honestly they are freaks (during the night loaches come out and do the little “loach dance” and glass surf). Feeding is a tad bit of a pain because they are nocturnal and only feed at night, so every couple days before bed I have to hide a few pellets behind the sponge filter for them to nibble on where the other fish won’t get to.

Last edited:

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
Do you plan on a planted aquarium? I think a 55 with driftwood and wisteria on one side and wall of cork vals in the back with gouramis, some small schooling fish and a groups of Kuhlis would look super dope, but that’s just my opinion. You could also add a rabbit snail (those things are so dang cute).

One quick note about gouramis though, never buy from a chain store. Like 90% of gouramis from petcos, petsmart or typical pet stores have gourami disease, which is really the same as neon tetra disease (an un-defined group of parasites that destroys fishes organs and is extremely difficult to cure). Get your gouramis from a breeder or nice LFS.

Last edited:

PhoenixKoi

Original Poster
I was planning on getting the fish from a local fish store so I dont think it should be too much of a problem because they do specialize in fish keeping. When I went to visit the store to see what they had the gourami looked pretty good and were eating no problem. I think the only snails they sold were mystery snails and rams horn but those rabbit snails are adorable! I was a little iffy on the crayfish because I did hear they could Potentialy kill or injure the other fish so thanks for the advice (I dont think I will be getting them) The new pond still hasnt come because its stuck in the mail so we may have to put our plans on hold for a while. Anyways, Thank you soo much for taking some time out of your day to help me out!