Trying the Tank Thing Again.

ZoOK33p3r

Zookeeper
Years ago I had an aquarium set up, it had community fish with a beta centerpiece. I even had a couple of dwarf frogs. I was just learning at the time, this was around 2004, but my experiment came to an end when I bought live plants and ended up with a snail infestation. After a few attempts to get rid of them and failing, I ended up draining the tank for good and storing it away.

I decided to take it out of storage a few weeks ago. I gave it a very thorough cleaning and bought a new filter for it. I'm going to try again but take my time with it. With all the craziness going on in the world, I needed something to keep me busy. So far only my beta is inside the tank, I plan to get some fish over the next week or so. I still have a lot of research to do. Eventually I will try live plants too. :)

20200817_071728.jpg

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
Years ago I had an aquarium set up, it had community fish with a beta centerpiece. I even had a couple of dwarf frogs. I was just learning at the time, this was around 2004, but my experiment came to an end when I bought live plants and ended up with a snail infestation. After a few attempts to get rid of them and failing, I ended up draining the tank for good and storing it away.

I decided to take it out of storage a few weeks ago. I gave it a very thorough cleaning and bought a new filter for it. I'm going to try again but take my time with it. With all the craziness going on in the world, I needed something to keep me busy. So far only my beta is inside the tank, I plan to get some fish over the next week or so. I still have a lot of research to do. Eventually I will try live plants too. :)

View attachment 10394
Did you cycle the tank? Not meaning to freak you out, but if you don’t cycle it you could get an ammonia build up really really fast that could kill your fish. I can’t stress enough to cycle aquariums before adding fish. Fish-in cycles are very very stressful for fish.

best of luck. He’s a beautiful betta. Some good betta tank mates are snails, shrimp (but shrimp require a heavily planted aquarium with real plants). I really recommend live plants for any setup. They make a much more natural environment for your fish. Indian almond leaves are another really good thing to get for bettas. They release tannins which are very very healthy for bettas. My betta gets much more colorful and much happier when I add almond leaves to his tank

If your betta is mellow enough and your tank is big enough, you might be able to get away with a school of harlequin Rasboras. A betta centerpiece fish with a school of Rasboras in a planted tank is stunning. Harlequin Rasboras like to have at least 20 gallons though.

If you are thinking about live plants, I would really recommend getting anubias nana, java fern and cryptocoryne. All come in little “snail-free” plastic tubes at the pet shop. Anubias nana is my number one recommendation. It’s super hardy, low light, and pretty impossible to kill. They also make a nice resting spot for bettas. You could also throw a couple Marimo moss balls in there. Those are also super low light, and don’t require fertilizer or anything. Marimos are also excellent for shrimp and look good in almost any tank.

I did also notice your filter is a tetra whisper it looks like. Those types of filter suck up betta fins really easy. I have the same filter, and to combat this I just put some black panty-hoes over the intake. image.jpg
I’ve attached some pictures of my anubias, java fern, crypts and Marimo ball for reference.

anubiasABBDF564-224B-4197-9534-E7CE1682DE75.jpeg
Marimo693994D6-F17C-4805-A7A0-2FB3C4EC2B60.jpeg
Cryptocoryneimage.jpg
Java fernimage.jpg
All of these plants grow super easy in low tech tanks.

Last edited: