Unexpected Free Gift!

Rosemarie

I had a large glass bowl I needed to find a use for. It was too small to keep fish in, so I decided to create a sort of under water garden. I put coloured gravel in the bottom, bought some ornaments, filled the thing with water and then added a couple of living plants from the pet shop. The whole thing looked very pretty and I was very pleased with it.
A couple of days ago, two tiny snails suddenly appeared. I presume there were eggs on the plants and now they have hatched. Can anyone give me advice on how to take care of them, and how big are they likely to grow?
Thank you.

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
I had a large glass bowl I needed to find a use for. It was too small to keep fish in, so I decided to create a sort of under water garden. I put coloured gravel in the bottom, bought some ornaments, filled the thing with water and then added a couple of living plants from the pet shop. The whole thing looked very pretty and I was very pleased with it.
A couple of days ago, two tiny snails suddenly appeared. I presume there were eggs on the plants and now they have hatched. Can anyone give me advice on how to take care of them, and how big are they likely to grow?
Thank you.
They are likely pest snails (either ramshorns or bladder snails) that rode in a plant. They will probably only get a cm or so in size at most and won’t outgrow a fishbowl. If you want, every couple weeks you can add a little boiled spinach or something to the bowl to feed them. I would recommend changing about half the bowl water every week or two to keep it clean and replenish minerals for the plants.

Don’t worry about them and try not to overfeed them. They are pretty much impossible to kill and will breed easily if they have food available.

P.S. If you feel like doing anything else to the bowl, you could get a nutrient rich substrate, some more plants, a little heater and add some freshwater shrimp! Shrimp really only need a gallon or two and are super cool to watch. You could have some ghost shrimp or a little colony of cherry shrimp in a bowl like that if it was heated. They would get along great with snails and eat the same food (boiled veggies).

good luck!

Rosemarie

Original Poster
Thank you for that, LittleGoldSnail. I don't like snails in the garden but I enjoy watching these little creatures. I do actually have another bowl which was part of my halogen oven. Perhaps I can do as you suggest and put shrimps in it.

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
Yeah, another option for stocking the bowl with would be amphipods. Those guys are like tiny shrimp and they look really cool. I used to breed amphipods and it was a very fun project. Most freshwater amphipods are cold water so you wouldn’t need a heater, and you could keep a colony of them in less then a gallon.

Just an idea. The snails are happy by themselves, I just thought I’d throw out some ideas Incase you wanted to make the bowl more interesting.